"Winnipeg in summer is worth a vacation" Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg by Redlats
Winnipeg Travel Guide: 385 reviews and 538 photos
What do you want to know about Winnipeg? It is a city of 650,000. It is fairly isolated, and has lots to do. Manitobans are quite friendly (it says so on our license plates). If you have found work (we have had among the lowest unemployment rates in Canada), Winnipeg has a lot of plusses. Prices are inexpensive. People moving from Toronto or Vancouver can purchase a house almost twice the size of their existing homes. The school system is good (including special needs and French immersion if desired). We are a kid-happy place. Kids festivals, cottages and camping sites close by. A very multi-cultural, accepting city with immigrants from around the world.
Winnipeg in summer is a good spot to visit. The weather is normally very good - we are one of the sunniest cities in the world. One of the prime reasons to visit Winnipeg includes shopping! - things are cheaper in Winnipeg than the States because of our dollar.
Manitoba has fantastic vacation sites - Grand Beach was ranked in the top ten beaches in the world by Playboy magazine. Carberry has the only shifting sands desert-like location in North America - there are great provincially-run campgrounds in every corner of the province. In Winnipeg, besides visiting the Forks, or the zoo, etc. there are numbers of other sites to try out - the Royal Canadian Mint, Dalvavert Museum (1890's restoration of a politician's home), the Museum of Man and Nature - a general, geographical/historical view of Manitoba - it's cool!! For our hot summer days, you can try the outdoor waterslides - one inside the city limits, and one in Lockport, or go on a paddlewheel river cruise.
Walk around the downtown - there are areas where the buildings are vintage of the times that Winnipeg was the third largest city in Canada behind Montreal and Toronto. (We are ninth now - behind Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, Ottawa-Hull, Calgary, Edmonton, Québec City and Hamilton).
Winnipeg has a ton of home-grown entertainment. Probably more than a 650,000 city normally has. There are sports teams (football, baseball, hockey, etc.), theatre (there must be 6 or 7 theatre companies), ballet and other dancing, the Winnipeg Symphony. If live sport/arts is your interest, you will find it.
Manitoba also has a ton of festivals and events - Festival du Voyageur (Feb.), Children's Festival (June), Jazz Festival (June), Red River Exhibition (early July), the Folk Festival (early July), the Fringe festival (last two weeks of July), A Taste of Manitoba (late July), Folklarama (early August), Oktoberfest (mid Sep. - hiccup!) and every town in Manitoba chooses some weekend in the summer to have their event (CountryFest (Dauphin), Strawberry Fair (Portage), Corn & Apple Festival (Morden), etc., etc.).
Winnipeg in winter sucks - sure you can walk or cross-country ski, etc. but as a vacation spot, Hawaii is better. You can check out the City of Winnipeg web page for up-to-date details.
Snow gets piled into great hills after a snowstorm
Lay on a lawnchair and look way up into the sky. We have only seen the Northern Lights a few times in the past few... more travel advice
The Fort Whyte Nature Centre, inside the city limits has boardwalks over marshes, a 70 acre bison enclosure, thousands... more travel advice
- See All The only Winnipeg hotel we've stayed in
- See All Alcohol in Manitoba
- Spectator Sports
- Lots to do
- Great shopping!!
Written Aug 11, 2004
Parks in Winnipeg
Written Aug 30, 2005
Fort Whyte Nature Centre
Redlats' Related Pages
Winnipeg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winnipeg in summer is worth a vacation"
- "au coeur du continent"
- "Winnipeg, Winterpeg, The Peg"
- "Winnipeg...cold, windy, but oh... so comfortable"
- "Welcome to Winnipeg"
- "Assiniboine Park in Winter"
- "Guybert's Winnipeg page!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Winnipeg
- Hotels in Winnipeg
- Transportation in Winnipeg
- Nightlife in Winnipeg
- Restaurants in Winnipeg
- Shopping in Winnipeg
- Warnings and Dangers in Winnipeg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winnipeg
- 34 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 148 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Winnipeg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winnipeg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: More Rental Getaways? "
- Commented on one of Redlats's Winnipeg travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Winnipeg VT meeting - in honour of birchy99"
- updated a Winnipeg Travel Page "Winnipeg in summer is worth a vacation"
- Wrote a Review Aurora Borealis in Winnipeg Nightlife
Photos in WinnipegSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campeche Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Progreso Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Uxmal Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tucson Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banff National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honolulu Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos