"Winnipeg in summer is worth a vacation" Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg by Redlats

Winnipeg Travel Guide: 388 reviews and 547 photos

What do you want to know about Winnipeg? It is a city of 650,000. It is fairly isolated, and has lots to do. Manitobans are quite friendly (it says so on our license plates). If you have found work (we have had among the lowest unemployment rates in Canada), Winnipeg has a lot of plusses. Prices are inexpensive. People moving from Toronto or Vancouver can purchase a house almost twice the size of their existing homes. The school system is good (including special needs and French immersion if desired). We are a kid-happy place. Kids festivals, cottages and camping sites close by. A very multi-cultural, accepting city with immigrants from around the world.

Winnipeg in summer is a good spot to visit. The weather is normally very good - we are one of the sunniest cities in the world. One of the prime reasons to visit Winnipeg includes shopping! - things are cheaper in Winnipeg than the States because of our dollar.

Manitoba has fantastic vacation sites - Grand Beach was ranked in the top ten beaches in the world by Playboy magazine. Carberry has the only shifting sands desert-like location in North America - there are great provincially-run campgrounds in every corner of the province. In Winnipeg, besides visiting the Forks, or the zoo, etc. there are numbers of other sites to try out - the Royal Canadian Mint, Dalvavert Museum (1890's restoration of a politician's home), the Museum of Man and Nature - a general, geographical/historical view of Manitoba - it's cool!! For our hot summer days, you can try the outdoor waterslides - one inside the city limits, and one in Lockport, or go on a paddlewheel river cruise.

Walk around the downtown - there are areas where the buildings are vintage of the times that Winnipeg was the third largest city in Canada behind Montreal and Toronto. (We are ninth now - behind Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, Ottawa-Hull, Calgary, Edmonton, Québec City and Hamilton).

Winnipeg has a ton of home-grown entertainment. Probably more than a 650,000 city normally has. There are sports teams (football, baseball, hockey, etc.), theatre (there must be 6 or 7 theatre companies), ballet and other dancing, the Winnipeg Symphony. If live sport/arts is your interest, you will find it.

Manitoba also has a ton of festivals and events - Festival du Voyageur (Feb.), Children's Festival (June), Jazz Festival (June), Red River Exhibition (early July), the Folk Festival (early July), the Fringe festival (last two weeks of July), A Taste of Manitoba (late July), Folklarama (early August), Oktoberfest (mid Sep. - hiccup!) and every town in Manitoba chooses some weekend in the summer to have their event (CountryFest (Dauphin), Strawberry Fair (Portage), Corn & Apple Festival (Morden), etc., etc.).

Winnipeg in winter sucks - sure you can walk or cross-country ski, etc. but as a vacation spot, Hawaii is better. You can check out the City of Winnipeg web page for up-to-date details.

Snow piles up in Winter

Snow gets piled into great hills after a snowstorm

• Intro Updated Sep 18, 2005

• bigiguana2001's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Good tips, but I beg to differ about Ontario not having beaches. Ontario has some fantastic beaches with warm water. I won't say where my favourites are though :D

• Redlats's Profile Photo
      Jun 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I don't disagree that Ontario has beaches. In fact we are visiting our kids in Ontario at this moment. I meant to imply that cottages or vacation properties are more reasonably priced than those in Alberta or Ontario, so I found my reference and changed it a bit.

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Very good tips. I noticed that the bus transit is cheaper than in Saskatoon, but more frequent. I relly liked the city.

• Aug 22, 2009 at 8:55 PM

If you are from a more temperate climate, winters in Manitoba can be cool. The coldest months are Dec, Jan and Feb. Temperatures can dip to -35 C. So please bring warm clothes and don't forget your mitts.

• Apr 11, 2009 at 12:35 AM

I hate to say this, sir...but in my youth I was one of those people you mentioned in your Warnings or Dangers tip: the drunkard. I was an innocent drunk though --and not a trouble maker.

• DPando's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2008 at 4:57 AM

nice tips !!!!!!

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2008 at 8:51 PM

We went to the Festival today and had a great time! Do you go often? I loved the taffy...:D

• nighthawk's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 2:19 PM

lol .. now i m curious bout that email!! am doing fine! no tx! don t need no more stuff .. just helped clearing out my deceased aunt's house...so how s it to downsize? lightness in the head?

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2007 at 10:54 AM

OK - now I'm curious and will research the current Canadian vs Euro exchange!

• marcbrazil's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Amazing page of Winnipeg..so close to themost bautiful spots in Cabada, easy info and great love for this city!;)

• Jun 19, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write about your city. We will be going there for a year because our 12 yr old is going to the RWB to study.I will have the time to check out several of yr tips. Thanks again. cyclecath

Redlats Lives Here!

Redlats

“Live for today”

Badges & Stats in Winnipeg

Have you been to Winnipeg?

Latest Activity in Winnipeg