"Southern Gros Morne National Park" Woody Point by Redlats
Woody Point Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 59 photos
This picture is quite representative of the Gros Morne area. You can see the sea -- here it is a fjord on your left and the fishing villiages on the shore. Along this fjord there are six villiages in a row - approximately one mile apart with Woody Point being the last one. You can even see a bird flying, although it is a crow, and not a seagull which is more common.
There are a number of low-lying mountains around, and in the distance on the right is a special one - the Tablelands. The Tablelands are the primary reason this park is a World Heritage site -- they are an example of continental drift, in this case where the edge of one shelf was forced over the edge of another shelf. The result is the exposing of the rocks of the earth's mantle. This crust is unusual in that it is toxic to the earth's plants, so it is a desolute spot -- note the low lying mountain without any forests -- that is the Tablelands.
If you are planning a trip to Newfoundland, see my province page for general help in planning a Newfoundland vacation.
- In a nutshell:World Heritage site - worth a visit
Gros Morne National Park is a World Heritage site primarily because of the Tablelands - an ancient mountain range which... more travel advice
About thirty of us tourists sailed on the Trout River Pond boat tour. For 2 and 1/2 hours, the ship follows the shore of... more travel advice
Redlats' Related Pages
Woody Point Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Southern Gros Morne National Park"
- "Woody Point, Rocky Harbour & Norris Point"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Woody Point
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Woody Point?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woody Point
- updated a Woody Point Travel Page "Southern Gros Morne National Park"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: More Rental Getaways? "
- Commented on one of victorwkf's Woody Point travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Trout River Pond Boat Tour"
- Wrote a Review Gros Morne National Park - South in Woody Point Things to Do
Photos in Woody PointSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campeche Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Progreso Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Uxmal Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tucson Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banff National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honolulu Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos