"Island of O'ahu" Honolulu by Redlats

Honolulu Travel Guide: 2,004 reviews and 4,786 photos

Waikiki over New Year's

Our family visited O'ahu over New Years this past year. Below, please find our recommendations. Hawaii is a great place to visit when coming from Canada. Every day is warm, but not too hot and there are no bugs. Prices are high - we could not afford Hawaii every year.
I think the first time you go to Hawaii, do the thing that most people do -- visit O'ahu (the Gathering place). O'ahu contains Honolulu (Waikiki is a suburb of Honolulu). Waikiki is almost 100% tourists - lots of hotels, restaurants, attractions, beaches, shopping, etc. A visit to the state of Hawaii would be incomplete if you didn't at least visit O'ahu.
Tourists we met kept telling us that the other islands were more serene, less touristy than O'ahu. Next time we visit, we will visit O'ahu and another island.

• Pros:Unbelievable weather, lots to do!
  • Cons:Lots of humanity in Honolulu
  • Last visit to Honolulu: Jan 2001
  • Intro Updated Feb 4, 2003

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2009 at 7:10 AM

I still haven't visited Hawaii! Everybody else assumes I have (just stopped over some times) because it is so near Philippines, we skip it. But I should vacation someday there -- I like the "waterfalls-get out of oahu" tip, Norman :)

• virtualling's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Thanks for the tip!

• Aug 18, 2006 at 2:57 PM

Is it Samoa or Somalia? Big mistake !!!!!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2005 at 7:13 PM

Nice photo from the top of Diamondhead...what a view! Pearl Harbor was described very well, also. Thanks for the tour.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2005 at 7:40 AM

Nice perspective on Honolulu. I hope you will try the other islands next visit, Kauai is my favorite! I am heading to Oahu 7/25/05. The Ala Moana food court is a good tip, we will check it out. Snorkeling is a top priority!! Cheers, Kat

• Mar 23, 2005 at 1:39 PM

OOoooohh Hawaii! It looks soo lovely.. I wanna go! Great tips too.. they really made alot of sense!

• Dumpymotel's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2004 at 7:15 AM

Did you know that Hawaii used to be a Volcano ?

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2004 at 9:51 AM

You covered alot of territory in this page--liked your honest comments. Good photos--nice work!

• Apr 28, 2004 at 8:36 AM

but can you see the Pacific and the palm trees and Diamond Head from Manitoba, Red???

• Royal63's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2004 at 9:05 PM

I had to laugh about your free breakfasts. Remember, you get what you pay for. Next time you want to go to Hawaii, I'll help you with air & hotel reservations.

Redlats

“Live for today”

Badges & Stats in Honolulu

Have you been to Honolulu?

Latest Activity in Honolulu