"Millau : the glove capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Millau by GUYON
Millau Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 122 photos
Located in Aveyron, Millau is a (too) quiet city known to be dedicated to the gloves manufacturing.
It is also the key of the Causse du Larzac, a poor land on which nothing grows except a rare grass grazed by some sheeps. Nethertheless, the 106 countrymen who worked on the Larzac resisted against the French Army some years ago. The State wanted to transform the plateau into a military field and decided to evict the few inhabitants.
This affair became quickly a national concern : a huge manifestation with 100.000 demonstrators took place on this desert land. The landowners decided to sell to anybody their land by square meter. So the number of owners became so important the eviction were a too hard work.
Mitterand becomen President stopped the affair.
This so quiet city focuses the energy of the demonstrators. Jose Bove, an other rebel, took down the Millau Mc Do to protest against mondialisation.
Millau is also the portal of the Gorges du Tarn and the Gorges de la Jonte.
Within one day, you can see both Gorges leaving Millau by route N9 (North) then D 902. At Les Roziers take the Gorges du Tarn as far as Ste Enimie. Then go to Meyruels, crossing the Causses Mejean. At Meyruels, take the direction of Les Roziers by the Gorges de la Jonte.
During your trip, do not miss : l'Aven Armand (a cave : see the page), Montpellier le Vieux (not a city but a park : see the page) and the cities and villages of the valleys.
Millau is also known to develop each Summer and the Week ends long lines of cars coming from North by motorway A 75 to reach the other motorway A71 to go to Montpellier, Sete, Beziers and the Mediterranean Coast.
So the highway A75 will be extended to join the A71 and for this purpose a huge bridge is under construction. It will be achieved on January 2005. Its length will be 2.5 Km.
- Pros:A basis to see wonderful landscapes
- Cons:A too quiet city
- In a nutshell:Quiet & agressive
I do not advice to go to Mac Donald but this one is special. Some years ago, Jose Bove, the French anti-internationalist... more travel advice
It is forbiden to take pictures in the cellar. So I attach outdoor photographes. But you can see the cheese and the... more travel advice
GUYON's Related Pages
Millau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Millau, Jose Bove and the viaduct"
- "Millau : the glove capital"
- "Beautiful View"
- "Enjoying views from great heights"
- "The Most Beautiful Viaduc I've seen..."
- "Millau, to the foot of the Larzac,"
- "Don't miss the Viaduc de Millau"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Millau
- 13 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Millau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Millau
Photos in MillauSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 184 reviews, 702 photos, 34 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 65 reviews, 105 photos, 8 travelogues
- Key West Intro, 45 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lignano Sabbiadoro Intro, 45 reviews, 114 photos
- Savannah Intro, 29 reviews, 102 photos
- Miami Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 64 photos
- Norway Intro, 32 reviews, 66 photos, 7 travelogues
- Montpellier Intro, 30 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 18 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- North America Intro, 11 reviews, 69 photos, 11 travelogues