"An ancient city : NANTERRE" Nanterre by GUYON
Nanterre Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 30 photos
Nanterre is the capital of the department des Hauts de Seine, in the West side of Paris.
It includes a part of La Defense district and it is very sprawling.
95.000 inhabitants live in Nanterre and a significant share are emigrates, mainly from North Africa. Everybody lives there rather in harmony and there are few concerns, at least less than it is often told.
The city is on the way of the national road 13 which joins PARIS to Normandy and the highway A86 which rings the capital crosses Nanterre.
The city history is very ancient and it begins before the Romans with the Gaulishes.
The most famous figure of Nanterre is Saint Genevieve who organized the defense of Paris against the Attila and the Huns (church Sainte Genevieve in Paris is the Pantheon).
Until the beginning of the 20e Century, Nanterre was the country side of Paris and was famous for its Rosiere, a young lady, chosen for her beauty and above all her virtue.
Yearly, in November, the city remembers and organizes a great festival transforming the city center into a farm.
The memory of the shanty town which was there until the 70's does a disservice to Nanterre but it is now a part of history.
Even if Nanterre has some monuments (few), it is not a touristic goal except for La Defense or the Mont Valerien.
So, the town organizes several festivals each years for the inhabitants pleasure.
It is difficult to park in the city center. Fortunately, there are 2 underground parkings : at the market place and beside the movie theater.
- Pros:History and modernity
- Cons:The memory of the shanty town
- In a nutshell:An unexpensive suburbs near Paris
These towers can be seen from La Defense. They are blue and white to be in harmony with the sky and the windows have the... more travel advice
This bronze Bell was set up in the park of Mont valerien, in 2004, in memory of the resistants killed in the fortress... more travel advice
GUYON's Related Pages
Nanterre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visiting the Arch of La Defense..."
- "An ancient city : NANTERRE"
- "Nanterre or the post modernism"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nanterre
- Hotels in Nanterre
- Nightlife in Nanterre
- Restaurants in Nanterre
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nanterre
- 9 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Nanterre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nanterre
Photos in NanterreSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 184 reviews, 702 photos, 34 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 65 reviews, 105 photos, 8 travelogues
- Key West Intro, 45 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lignano Sabbiadoro Intro, 45 reviews, 114 photos
- Savannah Intro, 29 reviews, 102 photos
- Miami Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 64 photos
- Norway Intro, 32 reviews, 66 photos, 7 travelogues
- Montpellier Intro, 30 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 18 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- North America Intro, 11 reviews, 69 photos, 11 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (16)
Latest Nanterre hotel reviews
- Campanile - Nanterre La Defense
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013