"Saint Valery sur Somme" Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme by GUYON

Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 147 photos

The basis to visit the Baie de Somme

Settled on a hill overhanging the Somme estuary, Saint Valery sur Somme is both a modern city and an historic one.
Departing from Saint Valery, William the Conqueror went to invade England.
The ramparts of the city have seen Joan of Arc, prisonner of the English troups when she was on the way of her trial and her execution.
The Somme estuary is classifies as one of the pretiest bay in the world and many people like to stroll along the banks and watch the birds which live or pass there during their migration.

Why we go there

When I retire (April 2007) my colleagues who know I am fond of travels offered me a book : 52 week ends in France. I wanted to use the ideas of this guide but most of the destinations were too far from Paris.
I found a chapter dedicated to the "Baie de Somme" and we chose to go there because there are only 2 hours drive to reach Saint Valery.

But it is a very touristy place and the hotels were full when I wanted to reserve 2 weeks only in advance.

After one hour of research, I thought I was stupid to make a week end on Saturday and Sunday and I resume my research on Sunday and Monday. So I had no problem to find a well located hotel at a fair price.

• Last visit to Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 23, 2007

Comments

GUYON

“If you know how to fold a map, you know how to travel”

Badges & Stats in Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme

Have you been to Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme?

Latest Activity in Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme