"How those bloody French people..." GUYON's Profile
Fond of travels and old enough to have done some.
My wife and I live in Nanterre, in the Paris suburbs. We are both insurers : she is a Human Ressources responsible and I am a specialist of automobile insurance.
We have 3 adult children who have left home: a boy (1975) who is a computer technician and sport coach, a girl (1980) who is a nurse, and an other daughter (1984) who is assistant mnger of the clothing shop in Paris.
They travel on their own for several years but they can appear on the pictures brought from some trips.
It is difficult to gather them on the same picture.
We had 3 periods in our travels :
- until we were 34 : camping in France and in Italy
- from 34 to 45 : guest house (Gites ruraux) in France. The children were young and we need a bit of comfort without a long trip. During this period I made my generalogy and I traveled in the Time (the furthest travels I never make... 500 years).
- since 45 : hotels, rented appartments generally abroad. The children were more independent and it was easier to make long travels.
We have yearly 4 types of travels :
- a family travel in France (1 week) to meet family members
- a long travel abroad (3/4/ weeks) in Summer.
- one or several Week ends (3/4 days) in European capitals (especially in June for our wedding anniversary)
- a Saturday in London by Eurostar yearly.
Previously, we (or I) had, when I was lucky, a professional invitation to an incentive travel of 4 days. By this way, we went to Lapland and to Sevilla.
After several concerns with tour operators or travel agencies, we make the conclusion : the professionals have not the best prices, they cannot guarranty the availability of the services they sell, they become mute when we put a claim after the trip.
Brief, they have no added value for a personal trip but they bring a surcharge.
We use them only for an organized tour with a guide (but we recently conclude we are not adapted to this sort of trip) or for some countries accessible only through professionals.
So, I organize now our travels (flight, accomodations, car, itinerary) directly with internet. So the accomodations are clean, at the appropriate place and cheap.
See our "North America travelogue", I explain the method I use.
A VT member who is very kind for me, told me I have a Swedish accent.
Swedish or French, my accent is strong.
When I was at school I learned English (6 years) and Italian (4 years) as they were Martian languages. I mean I had no practical use of these languages : my universe was entirely French and my parents did not travel abroad.
So I was a dunce in English and an average pupil in Italian only because the teacher was "simpatico".
I really learn English at work (English Insurance companies & US broker) and mainly in chating on VT. This way of learning is a trap because my errors are never corrected and I finish to think I am right.
For the Italian language, I followed adult courses for 2 years and I used it during the vacation.
But it was too late to get a good accent.
The attached picture was shot at the college with our English teacher in 1964.
I propose you a game : where I am ?
I help you : at this age, I had no bear.
At last. Retired.
Yes, I know, it is a bit early to retire. In France, we are lucky (see the film SICKO by Michael MOORE) and I may quit my job with a full pension when I am 59.
Now is it time to travel ? Yes, but not much more than before.
First of all, because I keep some jobs to top up my pension and to pay the trips : write books and articles, consulting, training courses and insurance brokerage.
But also because I live near Paris and after almost 60 years of visit I have still a lot to see.
I re-discover the public transportation because during the recent years, I was a Centaur and I used to go to Paris by car. It is a real pleasure to stroll by the streets to see the new things : buildings, shops, statues, gardens, museums.
Now, I can mix within the Paris crowd. So I know at least one person who can be there without doing anything.
With my wife and some retired friends we have formed a small group and monthly we choose a visit : museum, garden, etc. The one who has proposed the destination prepares the visit and I have the very sensitive mission to find the restaurant nearby.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Lahore Hotels
- Pymatuning State Park Hotels
- East Nashville Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Gangtok Hotels
- Puerto Peñasco Hotels
- Sentul Hotels
- Sharm El Sheikh Hotels
- Montego Bay Hotels
- Stittsville Hotels
- Tagaytay City Hotels
- Runaway Bay Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- Wildwood Hotels
- La Spezia
- Islamabad Hotels
- Laoag City
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,558 Reviews
- 3,234 Photos
- 20 Countries
- 121 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
- Posted in Travel Miami Beach Forum "Re: Air boat tour"
- GUYON and iccuf are now friends.
- Commented on holdfast's profile page
- Wrote a Review How to become a parisian in one hour about Theatre des Nouveautés in Paris Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "How to become a parisian in one hour"
updated their Personal Page "The pets"
- updated a Lignano Sabbiadoro Travel Page "A city devoted to holidays"
PhotosSee All Photos (3234)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 184 reviews, 702 photos, 34 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 65 reviews, 105 photos, 8 travelogues
- Key West Intro, 45 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lignano Sabbiadoro Intro, 45 reviews, 114 photos
- Savannah Intro, 29 reviews, 102 photos
- Miami Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 64 photos
- Norway Intro, 32 reviews, 66 photos, 7 travelogues
- Montpellier Intro, 30 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 18 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- North America Intro, 11 reviews, 69 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22479 Reviews - 55020 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23320 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2028 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3098 Reviews - 5880 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos