Bahrain Off The Beaten Path Tips by googoosh
Bahrain Off The Beaten Path: 25 reviews and 21 photos
These things pump the oil to bring it to the surface - they're known here as nodding donkeys. Bahrain was the first Gulf state to find oil and there's a museum dedicated to this fact. (with a piece of dinosaur skin on show). These silly things are fun to try and spot; there's also a camel and a bird somewhere. How to get there: You'll find the girraffe by the Awali Town gates (see instruction on how to get there under the picture of the tree of life). Just remember to take water with you, just in case.
Go to A'ali Village Pottery.
They've been making pottery in A'ali for many years, maybe hundreds of years. The kilns line one street in the village - you can see the smoke from one of them in the photo. It makes a nice trip out of Manama and you'll be able to buy cheap Bahraini souveniers.
If you go over the Muharraq causeway and look towards Manama you'll get the mix of old and new. This site is pretty special when the sun sets.
Booze shops. Most people who haven't visited think the entire Middle East is alcohol-free. Bahrain is the one place you can easily buy booze, but if you don't know what you're looking for, the booze shops seem to be hidden. There are 3 main sellers: BMMI, A&E and Gulf Cellar. They can be found at the following locations:
BMMI: look for a red sign with four white letters, you'll find one by the pearl roundabout.
Gulf Cellar: pearl roundabout & gulf hotel.
African & Eastern: next to al jazira supermarket in adliya and next to the holiday inn hotel.
Booze shops open from 10:00-21:00 on Saturdays to Thursdays. They're shut all day Fridays.
If you arrive by air there's a really good duty-free shop at arrivals in the airport. You have to pass it after you've cleared passport control. You're allowed to bring in one bottle of spirits and six beers.
This old house is behind the Gulf Hotel. The best way to find it is to drive along the main highway, from the Gulf Hotel, towards Mina Sulman port. It'll be on your right hand side. There's lots of decorative plaster work, and often the goats come looking for food.
Wooden doors - I took this photo years ago and I'm not sure if it still exists. Having said that it's definately worth a look. As I said before - get lost in the suq and you'll find all sorts.
More Reviews (54)
- See All Breathing the air - part II
- See All what used to be the pearl diving museum
- See All classic example of parking on a traffic...
- See All Persian carpets
- See All seef mall
googoosh's Related Pages
Bahrain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bahrain, the two waters"
- "Bahrain.. An Easy Get Away From Saudi Arabia"
- "Middle East's little Island of Paradise"
- "Bahrain - The Two Seas"
- "Bahrain.."The Land of Life""
- "Bahrain, The Pearl of the Arabian Gulf"
- "Living in Bahrain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bahrain
- Hotels in Bahrain
- Transportation in Bahrain
- Nightlife in Bahrain
- Restaurants in Bahrain
- Shopping in Bahrain
- Warnings and Dangers in Bahrain
- See All...
Explore the World
- Prestwick Hotels
- Avila Beach Hotels
- Chambers Island Hotels
- Kathu Hotels
- Martha's Vineyard
- Rapid City
Badges & Stats in Bahrain
- 71 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Bahrain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bahrain
- updated a Bahrain Travelogue "FAQ: hotels & accomodation"
- Uploaded a Photo to "FAQ: hotels & accomodation"
- Wrote a Review Breathing the air - part II in Bahrain Warnings and Dangers
- Posted in Travel Morocco Forum "Re: Can someone help me with info..."
- Commented on one of ersatz's Bahrain travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Bahrain Intro, 70 reviews, 100 photos, 10 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 33 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Trinidad Intro, 33 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 21 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Burma Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sri Lanka Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Provincia de Pinar del Río Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Kenya Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 11 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pagan Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
Latest Bahrain hotel reviews
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Souq- 11 Reviews, 17 Photos
- National Museum- 12 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Tree of Life- 9 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Arad Fort- 9 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Mosques- 14 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Fort- 6 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Al Areen Wildlife Park- 3 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Pearl Monument- 3 Reviews, 3 Photos
- King Fahad Causeway- 3 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Camels- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
See All Bahrain Things to Do