"a town built within an old palace" Split by miromi
Split Travel Guide: 820 reviews and 2,289 photos
Split has a magical quality...after splitting up the Roman Empire the emperor Diocletian retired near his hometown and proceeded to build a home for himself encased within a massive military fortress. I guess he was scared even then of being killed!
Long after he passed away the people of Split built a city within his home and converted his mausoleum into a church. Wandering through the remains of the former palace is a fun experience.
- Pros:diocletian's palace! elegant café culture, the sea
- Cons:the suburbs aren't so pretty!
- In a nutshell:come for the palace and stay for the people watching
miromi's Related Pages
Split Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Varoš is the real soul of Split"
- "Diocletian-A Palace that Started a City"
- "Ouch, it's time to Split!"
- "Sunny days in Split"
- "Welcome to Split"
- "I will go back!"
- "A Town Inside A Medieval Palace..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Split
- Hotels in Split
- Transportation in Split
- Nightlife in Split
- Restaurants in Split
- Shopping in Split
- Warnings and Dangers in Split
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Split
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Split?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Split
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 34 reviews, 39 photos, 7 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Paulo Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 6 photos
- Paris Intro, 10 reviews, 4 photos
- Krakow Intro, 10 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Everglades City Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Philippines Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue