"A VERY POLEMIC PLACE" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande by janaina
Ilha Grande Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 206 photos
To talk about Ilha Grande is to talk about all its beauty,beaches,mountains,the place where my parents used to take us when we were kids for at least a week an year!
Than,part of my childhood memories,such as the first explorations to the sea,moving all rocks on the way to check what animal are hidding under it,all those memories have a special place inside my heart.
But to talk about Ilha Grande and just about my own memories,is a bit difficult considering the past of this place.
Starting from the end:in the early 70's Brazil was a mess,almost like the rest of South America,specially Argentina.
People usually know the terrible stories of political prisoners in Ar gentina in the 70's,the tortures and the thousand of people that had been take to the police station and never came back!
But,our Brazil,doesn't loose to Argentina in this cruel past,maybe,for our luck and the bad luck of the families of those guys,the world just forgot the same cruelties happened here too!
The stories I heard are terrible as the stories from Argentina.
Ilha Grande was the main jail for political prisoners,a high security prison,where,from there,people never came back,or if they did,in a completely mental destruction.
My memories of Brazilian democracy are much better,because when I start to understand the world,the army goverment wasn't on duty anymore,but it doesn't mean that I don't think many times why they did what they did.
Besides,the atrocities in Ilha Grande come from much earlier,as this place was also a main point for slavers trafic from
Africa,and even before it,was a hot point for the pirates coming to this coast.
Than,looking for the good side of this place only,here we go.
In my travelogue,I'll add some pictures from my mom's private album,pictures she took a long long time ago in Ilha Grande!
Ilha Grande is part of Angra,and to get there,you need to choose the best port for your needs,Angra Port or Mangaratiba Port.
In Angra,the options for choosing a boat are better,it has many kinds of boats,and the big options of hours to cross tot he island,as the nbr of boats here are bigger than in Mangaratiba.
We crossed from Mangaratiba,because it's closer to Rio.
PICTURE:night comes to Ilha Grande..
WOW!!Exploring Ilha Grande can be everytime as the first time,as there's always a corner you missed last time!
Once in Ilha,it's better to check for a good boat trip around the small islands,the best is to go to the boat association,where you can pick between all kinds of trips,day trip,2 days,special weekends trips and 3 days trips.
The boats for long trips are excelent,you can choose to have your meals during the stops in the islands,or have your meals on board.
To walk in the island is also a great option,specially for those who come for a day trip.
The tracks that take you to the *PRAIA PRETA * (black beach) show a great view and it's an easy track for all ages !
PICTURE:Gruta do Acaia (Acaia's grotto ).
- Pros:CLOSE TO RIO,A ISLAND WITH MANY SMALL ISLANDS TO EXPLORE
- Cons:SOMETIMES BRAZILIANS CAN THINK ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED HERE IN THE PAST!
- In a nutshell:THINK ONLY ABOUT THE GOOD SIDE,IT WORTHS!
The fact that there was a high security jail in Ilha,kept the island away from tourist,as none could visit in many parts... more travel advice
You can take thousand pictures of it!! This one was taken during the way to the peak. more travel advice
- See All CARNAVAL IN ILHA GRANDE
- SNORKEL AND SCUBA DIVE IN ILHA GRANDE
- See All MY MOM'S ALBUM
- See All LIEUTENANT LORETTI
janaina's Related Pages
Ilha Grande Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A VERY POLEMIC PLACE"
- "The Beautiful Big Island: Ilha Grande"
- ":: Ilha Grande ::"
- "Ilha Grande"
- "AN ISLAND THAT WE FEEL IT IS OUR HOME"
- "Ilha Grande"
- "Ilha Grande - Paradise Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha Grande
- Hotels in Ilha Grande
- Transportation in Ilha Grande
- Nightlife in Ilha Grande
- Restaurants in Ilha Grande
- Shopping in Ilha Grande
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilha Grande
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha Grande
- 34 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Ilha Grande?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha Grande
Photos in Ilha GrandeSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de Fernando de Noronha Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 67 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Alegre Intro, 48 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 57 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- São Paulo Intro, 42 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pantanal Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angra dos Reis Intro, 24 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Guarda do Embaù Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jericoacoara Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos