"WELCOME TO OLINDA!A CITY OF ALL NATIONS!" Top 5 Page for this destination Olinda by janaina
Olinda Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 164 photos
Olinda!!A place I will take my best friend when coming to Brazil!
There's no escape from falling in love by Recife and Olinda,the collor in the air,the smile of this wonderful people,the accent when they speak,the "Frevo",the happiness!!
Went to Recife for a weding,Olinda was a natural part of the trip!
I will come back as soon as I can,and when you come to Brazil,pls don't let this trip behind,come and see!
People tell that the origin of its name comes from:Duarte Coelho Pereira founded the first colonial settlement of Pernambuco,and when he looked at the view of the village from the hills,he said:
The dutches invaded olinda(there are magnificient old buildings in Olinda in dutch architecture style!!),and during the ocupation,a well-planned town was built,where today,is Recife.
But,the dutches burned down Olinda!
Portugeueses came after the Dutches,and rebuilt the village,and Olinda became again a avery important place in Brazil(from the Portuguese period,we have here fantastic buildings ornamented with handmade glazed tiles!)
Nowadays,Olinda is noted for its 16th and 17th century ornated churches,and for the colonial buildings.
Also,there is a local artists colony,and there are several places with tipical objects and gifts.
Also,it's the right place to find and taste different tipical foods,since there are very good restaurants and tipical fairs at the street.
- Pros:A PLACE YOU JUST MUST VISIT!
- Cons:SO FAR AWAY FROM WHERE I LIVE!!
- In a nutshell:"OH..LINDA!!"
I spent most nights in Recife,and there,the place I loved most was "The Performing Arts Space",Recife's prime theater... more travel advice
The only and/or best and truly way to explore Olinda is by hitting the cobblestones and setting off on foot. It's hard... more travel advice
janaina's Related Pages
Olinda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WELCOME TO OLINDA!A CITY OF ALL NATIONS!"
- "Well done, Portugal"
- "OH Linda!"
- "Olinda, que Lindo!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olinda
- Hotels in Olinda
- Transportation in Olinda
- Nightlife in Olinda
- Restaurants in Olinda
- Shopping in Olinda
- Warnings and Dangers in Olinda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Olinda
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Olinda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olinda
Photos in OlindaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de Fernando de Noronha Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 67 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Alegre Intro, 48 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 57 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- São Paulo Intro, 42 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pantanal Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angra dos Reis Intro, 24 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Guarda do Embaù Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jericoacoara Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (104)
Latest Olinda hotel reviews
- Pousada Do Amparo Hotel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013