"PANTANAL" Top 5 Page for this destination Pantanal by janaina

Pantanal Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 239 photos

THE SWAMP BETWEEN 4 COUNTRIES

" PANTANAL ",is a huge area that,in Brazil,is located between the states of Mato Grosso and Mato Grosso Do Sul.
It's an ecossistem with an extension of 230,000 km2,between Brazil,Bolivia,Paraguai and Argentina.The name sugests it's a swamp (Pantanal meaning in Portuguese),but,actually,it's a huge depression in a big valley between main rivers,what suffers from periodic inundations,specially from Paraguai River.
The ecosistem in the area is an unique habitat for thousands of animals and vegetation,which,without the special fact of the inundations,could not live anywhere else.Today,the ecotourism had been developed in order to protect these fauna & flora,as the area got very famous in and out Brazil,being the newest option of ecotourism in Brazil,besides Amazonas.

UNIQUE BEAUTY

This flower,Camalote,is one of the examples in the Pantanal.

BIRDS..

The prize of a good hunter...

• Last visit to Pantanal: May 2000
  • Intro Written Sep 13, 2002

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM

This looks to be one of the "must see" areas when we visit Brasil with our friends (they are native Brasilians and hopefully from VT we can show them somethings they have not seen). ^O^

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2006 at 5:49 AM

Pantanal is high on my list for the birds.

• ironicodyssey's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2006 at 11:49 PM

will have to add Pantanal to my list of must see's in Brazil

• kucha's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2006 at 4:03 PM

I want to stay a week or so? Are there African-type safaris?

• quartinb's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2004 at 11:11 AM

,,,bonita pagina de um local magico do Brasil!,,,adorei os passaros!

• fool_moon's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2003 at 12:49 AM

Beautiful page! We think about including Pantanal in our next "viagem" to Brazil in January 2004 (my god thats already next month !).

• Andreas_Fran's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2003 at 3:50 AM

This is the ablosute beauty of Pantanal, unique and endles!

• Sep 10, 2003 at 12:13 PM

I am visiting Brazil very soon now... One of the stops is in Pantanal. As you were there, I thought you might have more info on excursions and prices? If you do, post on http://www.dagmar.be and read through my own plans. Add tips if you have any :-)

• felix.austria's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2003 at 11:39 AM

Look's like a very special place! Maybe I should add it to my plans about my Brazil tour. Is December a nice time for this area?

• jmbenet's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2003 at 12:46 PM

Wonderful pictures and very useful, specially for us, so this august'03 we plan to travel to brazil, particulary at this area. Thanks a lot!!!

Badges & Stats in Pantanal

Have you been to Pantanal?

Latest Activity in Pantanal