Porto Alegre Local Custom Tips by janaina Top 5 Page for this destination
Porto Alegre Local Customs: 21 reviews and 19 photos
METROPOLITAN CATHEDRAL:the cathedral had its foundation stone laid in 1921.the dome,with 75m in height and 18m in diameter,is one of the tallest in the world.
The three mosaic panels on the facade were made at the vatican's worshop.The pictures show the cathedral beauty inside and the entrance..
This is the famous 'LACADOR' statue,a symbol of south Brazil(the 'gaucho',means,the simple original men from the south,as the american cowboys...)
The statue is located in the free way,5 minutes away from the airport..
Another picture of a cold sunny day at the Guaiba river promenade.These guys are my parents,my mom is holding her CHIMARRAO,a kind of hot drink made of a native and bitter herb,and prepared in a CUIA,a kind of wood bowl.Just as a curiosity,i added a recipe in the travelogue about how to prepare a good CHIMARRAO..only 4 steps,it's easy!
Watching the diferent architeture of the churches in the city,every style represents a period in the city's history..this one is a gothic style,it's saint anthony's church,in a suburb of Porto Alegre.
I don't know if it's a cultural tip or off the beaten path..think both..in the MARIO QUINTANA CULTURAL CENTER or in the IAB CULTURAL CENTER(INSTITUTE OF THE BRAZILIAN ARCHITETS)there are many nice and interesting expositions with some young talents from the university.I have to show you some pictures of my good friend,SUZIENE DAVID,who study arts and will be a professional photografer.She just shows,in the b&w pictures,a little of the typical faces of our people.Suziene also helped me since the begining of my studies making with me a lot of pictures of interesting houses or historical sites to use in my project..here is an atribute for her work..i had her approval for it,by the way..
MARIO QUINTANA CULTURAL CENTER:Mario Quintana was a very famous writer and poet from Porto Alegre.He lived all his life in a hotel called MAJESTIC.After he died,the building was restored and became the MARIO QUINTANA CULTURAL CENTER.It's a great place with nice cool performances,many from the students of the theater and art school from the university.There's a nice cofee shop in the lobby with great happyhours..
More Reviews (37)
- See All Take a trip to the farmhouses...
- See All WINTER:NEVER ENOUGH CLOTHES/SUMMER:GET...
- See All A PLACE FOR THE KIDS
- See All AND THAN,COMES THE SUNSET!!
- See All THE WATERFALL - THE HIKE TARGET!
janaina's Related Pages
Porto Alegre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""The Smiling City""
- "MY BEAUTIFUL CITY"
- "Porto Alegre bah !"
- "Porto Alegre"
- "guilhermebr's Porto Alegre Page"
- "Welcome to Porto Alegre!..."
- "P. Alegre, the Capital of the Brazilian Pampas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porto Alegre
- Hotels in Porto Alegre
- Transportation in Porto Alegre
- Nightlife in Porto Alegre
- Restaurants in Porto Alegre
- Shopping in Porto Alegre
- Warnings and Dangers in Porto Alegre
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Porto Alegre
- 48 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 373 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Porto Alegre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porto Alegre
Photos in Porto AlegreSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de Fernando de Noronha Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 67 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Alegre Intro, 48 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 57 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- São Paulo Intro, 42 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pantanal Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angra dos Reis Intro, 24 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Guarda do Embaù Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jericoacoara Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (104)
Latest Porto Alegre hotel reviews
- Parthenon Il Giardino
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Porto Alegre Ritter Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Novotel Porto Alegre
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Blue Tree Towers Porto Alegre
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Sheraton Porto Alegre Hotel
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Blue Tree Millenium Porto Alegre
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013