"A village made of stones." Sortelha by tucha
Sortelha Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 53 photos
The great charm of this village is its evocation of a mediaeval atmosphere, with all the houses having been built of granite and generally consisting of just one storey. Their foundations have been built into the rock and follow the topography of the terrain. Another more modern village has grown beyond the walls, unfortunately displaying architectural styles that have little or nothing to do with the traditional roots of this region.
Sortelha had therefore part of an important line of defence formed from a series of castles built on the borders of the territory, most of which were either erected or reconstructed on the earlier hill forts of ancient Iberian civilisations. The village´s name derives from the nature of its terrain, being surrounded by rocky escarpments in the shape of a ring (sortija, in Castilian), its walls also having been built in a circular fashion.
The historic village of Sortelha has gained the title of "museum-village" and is extremely well preserved with its stony lanes and granite houses (some have been turned into restaurants), besides the 16th-century church with a Mudejar ceiling.
- Pros:Very well perserved
- Cons:Too much turistic.
- In a nutshell:Like a postcard!
tucha's Related Pages
Sortelha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The historical Village of Sortelha"
- "A village made of stones."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sortelha
- Hotels in Sortelha
- Transportation in Sortelha
- Nightlife in Sortelha
- Restaurants in Sortelha
- Shopping in Sortelha
- Warnings and Dangers in Sortelha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sortelha
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Sortelha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sortelha
Photos in SortelhaSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Tunisia Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venezuela Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Alicante Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Andorra Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Sintra Intro, 5 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madeira Island Intro, 1 review, 2 photos