"tak_pap's new Patrai Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Patras by tak_pap
Patras Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 632 photos
The Peloponnesian town of Patras has been selected to be the "Cultural Capital of Europe" for 2006.
Travelers to the city can expect hundreds of special events, exhibits, festivals and presentations, all designed to show Patras at is best.
The city of Patras is located in the Northern-Western Peloponnese and is the capital city of the Prefecture of Achaia and the Region of Western Greece. It also constitutes the main commercial and administrative centre for Western Greece. It is the third largest Greek city with a population of 250,000 people.
The city has a long history of more than five thousand years, as archaeological excavations have shown. It's existence goes back to pre-historic times and the city flourished especially during the Mycenaean period.
At present, Patras is a vibrant city, a major port for Greece and the Mediterranean as a whole, and is considered Greece's gateway to the West. Due to its geographical position it is also the transport centre between the European Union and the East.
The city has become a major industrial centre since the middle of the 19th century. Today there is still a number of industrial enterprises, mainly in the sectors of food processing, textiles, cement and paper. The wider area of Patras is an important agricultural area for all of Greece: olive and citrus trees abound and its vineyards produce the finest wine in the country, renowned all over the world.
Several new major projects are now in process: the reconstruction of its waterfront, the Rion-Antirion bridge ( gefyra ) connecting Patras with mainland Greece, and the new port. All these are expected to change the City and its environment significantly, in the years to come. The University of Patras ( university ) plays a leading role in helping the city to define its character in the 21st century.
Patras is an attractive and exciting city, combining the advantages of a modern city with the charm of one with a very long history. Tourism represents another source of economic life, although Patras is considered a transit rather than a resort centre. The Carnival celebrations and parade ( carnival ) that take place every year constitute one of its major tourist attractions. The town of Kalavryta, a ski-resort near Patras, attracts many tourists from all over Greece.
It is worth mentioning that the city of Patras has been selected as the Cultural Capital of Europe for 2006.
for futher details : http://patras2006.gr/en/
Since Harilaos Trikoupis' vision when he was Prime Minister of Greece one hundred years ago, Greece had the great dream of a bridge crossing the 3 km Corinth Gulf strait.
In 2004, a long-standing dream will become reality.
(Don't forget to take a look on my travelogues -at the right side- for Patra's pictures, historical items, themes about Carnaval, places near Patras, e.t.c. -
This Page is always under construction !!!
- See All Plucked String Orchestra Municipality of...
- See All Carnival 2004
- See All A c h a i a C l a u s s ...
tak_pap's Related Pages
Patras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint Andrew in every corner!"
- "Patras - a city of St. Andrew"
- "tak_pap's new Patrai Page"
- "PATRAS- CARNIVAL CAPITOL OF GREECE"
- "We will return..."
- "SirRichard's new Patrai Page"
- "Sharrie's Patras Worship"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Patras
- Hotels in Patras
- Transportation in Patras
- Nightlife in Patras
- Restaurants in Patras
- Shopping in Patras
- Warnings and Dangers in Patras
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Patras
- 80 Reviews
- 256 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 497 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Patras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Patras
- Commented on one of NatassaPL's Patras travel pages
- Wrote a Review Plucked String Orchestra Municipality of Patras in Patras Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "tak_pap's new Patrai Page"
- updated a Patras Travel Page "tak_pap's new Patrai Page"
- Posted in Travel Berlin Forum "RE: RE: Berlin to Hamburg via train"
Photos in PatrasSee All Photos (256)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Patras Intro, 80 reviews, 256 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 47 reviews, 209 photos, 12 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 70 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Symi Island 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nisos Megisti Intro, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Cefalonia 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kalavrita Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Zante (Zakynthos) 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Milos Island 12 photos, 1 travelogue