"Shanghai" Shanghai by seagoingJLW
Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,073 reviews and 8,108 photos
Shanghai is located in central eastern China on the East China Sea. Within the Shanghai municipality lies the island of Chongming which is part of the Yangtze River Delta and is China's second largest island. Shanghai is divided into two areas: Pudong (east of the Huangpu River) and Puxi (west of the Huangpu River.) It has a status equivalent to a province. It is the largest city, the largest port, and the largest industrial base in China.
Shanghai has an area of 2,418 square miles (6200 sq km) and a population of 15 million of which 8 million live in the city proper. There is also a huge floating population (about 2 million) of itinerant workers. The main language is putangua (Mandarin) Shanghaihua. Most of the people are Han Chinese.
Shanghai, called Hu or Shen in Chinese, is the gateway to the Changjiang River Valley. The climate is delightful with four distinct seasons and an average temperature of 15.7 ° C.
Prior to the first Opium War, Shanghai was a small fishing village. Then the British opened their first concession in 1842 and the French did so in 1847. Pretty soon an International Settlement was established. By the time the Japanese arrived in 1895, the city was parcelled into autonomous settlements immune from Chinese law. It was China's first Special Economic Zone.
The 1930's saw the arrival of houses of commerce and financial institutions. Shanghai, by then, had the tallest buildings in Asia and more automobiles than in all the rest of China. A remnant of that time is the Bund.
There were countless opium dens, gambling joints, and brothels. Guarding the city were American, French, and Italian marines, British Tommies and Japanese bluejackets.
The Communists finally put a stop to it in 1947. They got rid of the slums. They rehabilitated the opium addicts. They put a stop to child and slave labor.
The 1990's saw a rebuilding of the city. It is the financial center of China.
The Bund is an Anglo-Indian term. It means muddy embankment. The Bund is symbolic of the foreign element in Shanghai.
The Europeans treated it as Shanghai's Wall Street. It was a place of trading, but it was also the playground of Western sophisticates. The buildings on the Bund are an assortment of neo-classical 1930's downtown New York styles. The domed building is the old Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank. It was completed in 1921 and was the home of the Shanghai People's Municipal Government for many years.
- Pros:A wonderful city for sightseeing and shopping.
- Cons:Crowds and traffic
- In a nutshell:Very cosmopolitan
Don't forget to explore Frenchtown. It is the area around Huaihai Lu and the Jinjiang Hotel. In addition to the huge... more travel advice
Make sure that the guide you get is fluent in your language. There are all degrees of proficiency available. This was... more travel advice
seagoingJLW's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 96 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 85 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 66 reviews, 69 photos
- Europe Intro, 3 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 10 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Shanghai hotel reviews
- Jin Jiang Jin Sha Hotel Shanghai
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 14, 2012
- Sofitel Hyland Shanghai
- 610 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Shanghai Marriott Hotel Changfeng Park
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Renaissance Shanghai Pudong
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Ruijin Hotel Shanghai
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Ramada Pudong Airport Shanghai
- 183 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- The Bund Hotel Shanghai
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Galaxy Hotel Shanghai
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013
- Astor House Hotel
- 406 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Novotel Atlantis Shanghai
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Jinjiang Inn (Tongji University)
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 14, 2013
- InterContinental Shanghai Puxi
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hyatt on the Bund
- 531 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Pacific Hotel Shanghai
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- 24K International Hotel Weihai Road Shanghai
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 17, 2013