"Xochimilco" Xochimilco by seagoingJLW
Xochimilco Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 99 photos
Xochimilco was the main water catchment area for Mexico City up until the 19th century.
The cultivation of flowers and trade in market produce led to regional prosperity.
Xochimilco, which is 28 km south of the city center, is a network of canals and artificial islands. It shows how the Axtec people strove to build a habitat in an unfavorable environment.
Today Xochimilco faces serious ecological problems since the canal water is contaminated and the ground has a high concentration of saltpeter.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery
- Cons:Lots of seaweed for the boat to get caught in.
- In a nutshell:Different and enjoyable
seagoingJLW's Related Pages
Xochimilco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Michelle and I in Xochimilco"
- "The floating gardens of Xochimilco"
- "More pictures"
- "The Strange Land of Xochimilco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xochimilco
- Transportation in Xochimilco
- Restaurants in Xochimilco
- Warnings and Dangers in Xochimilco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xochimilco
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Xochimilco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xochimilco
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 96 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 85 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 66 reviews, 69 photos
- Europe Intro, 3 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 10 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues