New York City Restaurant Tips by seagoingJLW
New York City Restaurants: 2,752 reviews and 2,720 photos
If you like dim sum (and who doesn't_ this is the place. I remember when it was a small coffee house. My! It sure has grown.
Favorite Dish: Dim Sum, by all means. When in Chinatown, try going to different places for different courses. that is what we used to do when my kids were small.
Address: 35 Pell Street
Other Contact: FAX 212-406-9809
Phone: 212-267-0733 Or
Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum
Located in the heart of the theater district, Sardi's more or less personifies Broadway dining.
Favorite Dish: There are Hirschfield sketches of theatrical personnel all over the walls. Tioy may spot some very famous people here.
The food is good, but the place is expensive.
Address: 234 West 44th Street
Directions: Times Square
Giant Size Sandwich
The food just cannot be beat!! I personally love the hot pastrami. they give you enough to feed an army, but somehow you manage to finish it. It is that good.
The waiters will tell you what to order. Take their advice. They know.
Try the corned beef on rye (NEVER white.) Try the matzoh ball soup or the mushroom barley soup.
The chopped liver is "to die for." But then, so is everything else.
Favorite Dish: The sidewalk out front is like the Hollywood Wlak of Fame, but this one is for the stars of the Yiddish Theater.
The back room at the deli is a shrine to the famous Yiddish actress, Molly Picon.
Address: Second Avenue at 10th Street
Directions: Lower East Side (now called, for some reason, the East Village.)
McSorley's (1854) is the oldest bar in continuous operation in New York City. It serves only McSorley's Light Beer and McSorley's Dark Beer.
It is a real saloon with swinging doors and sawdust floors.
Historically, Woody Guthrie played guitar here. There was even a supreme court case to allow women to enter (Faith Seidenberg and Karem DeCrow went to the United States Supreme Court) Women finally were admitted in 1970, for which I am thankful.
Favorite Dish: My son attended Cooper Union which is nearby and introduced me to McSorley's. The pub is always full of students and a lot of others.
Address: 15 East 7th Street
Directions: Lower East Side
White Horse Tavern
If you like history along with your cheeseburgers try the White Horse Tavern. Supposedly it was a hangout for Dylan Thomas, who drank himself to death here after downing 18 shots of scotch in 1958. They say that Steve McQueen tended bar here. It was a favorite of Bob Dylan's in the 60's.
Favorite Dish: By the way, the cheeseburgers are good.
Address: 567 Hudson Street at West 11th Street
Directions: Greenwich Village
Umberto's Clam House
Italian seafood specialties such as fried calamari, mussels and shrimp balls.
Favorite Dish: They serve a great scungilli salad.
Address: 386 Broome Street between Mott St. and Mulberry St
Directions: Little Italy
Beer and a Burger
This is the last of the old Bohemian Bars. There is a full bar with draft and bottled beers. They also have great burgers.
Address: 331 West 4th Street
Directions: Greenwich Village
Price: less than US$10
Tavern on the Green
Take your pick. Just be sure to check the menu first. Prices can be high in many places. Nevertheless, there are lots of places to eat in the city that won't make a pauper out of you-- and most of them are good. Generally, I would suggest that you try different ethnic cuisines. Avoid the chain restaurants that you can visit anywhere. Why come to NY for them? This is photo of the famous Tavern on the Green in Central Park.
Directions: Tavern on the Green
Central Park West from 66th to 67th Streets
More Reviews (77)
- See All Discount Tickets for Broadway Shows
- See All Unusual Gifts, Jewelry and Clothing
- See All Ladies Mile
- See All National Museum of the American Indian
- See All Concerts and Performances
seagoingJLW's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "I loved it - and I don't even like apples!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 85 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 175 Forum posts
- 53 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: where do you shop for..."
- Wrote a Review Discount Tickets for Broadway Shows about Broadway & Shows in New York City Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Discount Tickets for Broadway Shows"
- Commented on one of TempNomad's New York City travel pages
- updated a New York City Travelogue "Bridges, Plazas, Tombs"
Photos in New York CitySee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 96 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 85 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 66 reviews, 69 photos
- Europe Intro, 3 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 10 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues
- Times Square- 267 Reviews, 412 Photos
- Central Park- 401 Reviews, 720 Photos
- Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island- 404 Reviews, 641 Photos
- Empire State Building- 369 Reviews, 603 Photos
- Rockefeller Center- 212 Reviews, 366 Photos
- Chinatown- 103 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Brooklyn Bridge- 183 Reviews, 321 Photos
- South Street Seaport- 68 Reviews, 98 Photos
- Ground Zero - World Trade Center- 152 Reviews, 278 Photos
- Wall Street- 139 Reviews, 237 Photos
See All New York City Things to Do