"Nawiliwili, Kauai" Nawiliwili by seagoingJLW
Nawiliwili Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 29 photos
Lihue is the county seat of Kauai. Nawiliwili was established as Kauai's principal port in 1930. Kauai is the legendary home of the Menehune, an ancient race of mysterious "little folk." The Garden Island, as Kauai is nicknamed, is the oldest and most northerly of the Hawaian Islands.
The official flower is Mokihana (Green Berry). The area of Kauai is 552.3 square miles. The average temperature is 71.3°F to 79.1°F. The summit of Mount Waialeale is among the wettest spots in the world with an annual rainfall of 444 inches. The average rainfall at Poipu Beach, for instance, is 35 inches per year.
The population of Kauai is 55,603 making it the least populated of Hawaii's four counties. It is 25% Caucasian, 17% Japanese, 19.5% Hawaiian/part Hawaiian, and 14.5% Filipino. Lihue's population is 5,536.
At 5 million years Kauai is the oldest of the inhabited Hawaiian Islands. It is also the greenest and the wettest.
Kauai Island was the first island visited by Captain Cook. It was also the last independent kingdom. It was at Waimea Bay that Captain Cook first set foot in Hawaii in January 1778.
Hoping to seize Kauai for his Tsar an employee of the Russian Fur Company of Alaska built the Russian fort, Fort Elizabeth near the mouth of the Waimea River in 1817.
In 1835 the first successful sugar plantation was established.
Since the Mokihana berry grows only in Kauai, this fact gave rise to the tales of the Menehune living here.
- Pros:Some pretty scenery
- Cons:Not too much of a town.
- In a nutshell:Take trips.
This was a lot of fun. We had a travel talk going up to Fern Grotto, and entertainment coming back. I even got to do the... more travel advice
The clouds in the photo are covering the wettest spot on earth. Wai Ali Ali gets 468 inches of rain each year. more travel advice
seagoingJLW's Related Pages
Nawiliwili Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nawiliwili
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Nawiliwili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nawiliwili
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 96 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 85 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 66 reviews, 69 photos
- Europe Intro, 3 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 10 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues