"Hoe gaat het ermee?" Netherlands by seagoingJLW
Netherlands Travel Guide: 32,476 reviews and 86,677 photos
We came into Amsterdam very late. The weather was bad, and we had missed our original appointment time for going through the lock to enter Amsterdam.
You know the old saying, "God created the world. but the Dutch made Holland." It's true. Half the present land area of the Netherlands lies below sea level.
The earliest people to live in the Low Countries quickly learned how to manage the sea with dikes, dams, and levees.
The origin of Amsterdam was the construction of a protective dam on the Amstel River. While there was a small castle build there in 1204, the town is not mentioned until 1275.
In the 14th century, Amsterdam was built around the original Dam Square close to where the Royal Palace and the Nieuwe Kerk stand today.
The Dutch, led my William of Orange, fought for more than a century to establish their independence from Spain. the war against Spain gave Dutch ship captains access to some very profitable concessions, including trade with Java and the East Indies.
Dutch shipwrights developed the "flute," a small but sturdy cargo ship that required only a handful of crewmen to sail it. Thousands of these flutes, together with the much larger East Indiamen, gave the Dutch merchant fleet a large share of the shipping trade for the entire world. The combined merchant fleets of Britain and France did not equal half of what the Dutch could put to sea.
The Netherlands is in Western Europe, bordering the North Sea between Belgium and Germany. It has an area of 37,330 sq km, which is slightly less than twice the size of New Jersey.
The climate is temperate and marine with cool summers and mild winters.
The population, as of July, 1995, was 15,452,903. The people are 96% Dutch, with Moroccans, Turks and others making up the other 4%.
The Netherlands is 34% Roman Catholic, 25% Protestant, 3% Muslim, and 2% other. Thirty six per cent are unaffiliated.
The language spoken is Dutch.
- Pros:Interesting sights-- the people around as well as the scenery.
- Cons:Cold weather
- In a nutshell:I'd like to see more of it.
Here is a map of Amsterdam to help you find your way around. more travel advice
Try the following dishes: Groentensoep (consomme with vegetables, vermicelli and tiny meatballs) Hutspot (potatoes,... more travel advice
seagoingJLW's Related Pages
Netherlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
- "A Great Place to Live In"
- "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- "Margaret's Page"
- "Travelling around Holland"
- "Small Country, Big Variety"
- "BICYCLES RULES!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Netherlands
- Hotels in Netherlands
- Transportation in Netherlands
- Nightlife in Netherlands
- Restaurants in Netherlands
- Shopping in Netherlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Netherlands
- 16 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherlands
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 96 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 85 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 66 reviews, 69 photos
- Europe Intro, 3 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 10 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues
Top Netherlands hotels
- Amsterdam Hotels
- 10124 Reviews - 21103 Photos
- Valkenburg Hotels
- 240 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Rotterdam Hotels
- 1423 Reviews - 3803 Photos
- Maastricht Hotels
- 1266 Reviews - 3255 Photos
- Leiden Hotels
- 611 Reviews - 1423 Photos
- Utrecht Hotels
- 632 Reviews - 1496 Photos
- Groningen Hotels
- 433 Reviews - 1074 Photos
- The Hague Hotels
- 1244 Reviews - 2876 Photos
- Breda Hotels
- 437 Reviews - 1131 Photos
- Eindhoven Hotels
- 330 Reviews - 972 Photos
- Noordwijk aan Zee Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 217 Photos
- Putten Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Apeldoorn Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 1031 Photos
- Arnhem Hotels
- 380 Reviews - 1180 Photos
- Amersfoort Hotels
- 175 Reviews - 332 Photos