"Messina, Sicilia" Messina by seagoingJLW
Messina Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 205 photos
Although, Sicily was founded by the Greeks in the 8th century BC as animportant cultural center, it became the "breadbasket" of the Roman Empire. Until 1860 when it became part of Italy, Sicily was occupied by Arabs, Normans, Germans, Spanish and French.
There was a major earthquake in Messina in 1908, and the city was repeatedly bombed during World War II. Thus, when you visit you see a 20th century city.
The photo shows us coming into the harbor at Messina.
Messina's Cathedral, Santa Maria degli Alemanni Church while largely destroyed by the earthquake, has been rebuilt along the original 13th century lines. The Bell
tower has an astronomical clock.
There is an original Crusader's church constructed in the 12th century., the Annunziata dei Catalani Church. Supposedly Richard the Lionhearted attended this church.
Messina is connected to the mainland by a ferry service.
- Pros:Interesting to walk around. It is also the gateway to Taormina.
- Cons:It is a port that is rarely visited.
- In a nutshell:Enjoy it when there.
seagoingJLW's Related Pages
Messina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Messina and surroundings"
- "Enter Sicily via Messina"
- "A broken day trip"
- "The forgotten corner of Sicily"
- "Mt Etna"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Messina
- Hotels in Messina
- Transportation in Messina
- Nightlife in Messina
- Restaurants in Messina
- Shopping in Messina
- Warnings and Dangers in Messina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Messina
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Messina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Messina
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 96 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 85 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 66 reviews, 69 photos
- Europe Intro, 3 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 10 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues