"Pisa and the Torre Pendente" Pisa by seagoingJLW
Pisa Travel Guide: 1,424 reviews and 3,953 photos
The bell tower is a unique building. The Tower is located in the Piazza dei Miracoli to one side of the Cathedral. The Tower assumes an unusual value because it is dislocated from the other monuments in the Piazza dei Miracoli.
A road originally ran towards the apse and alongside the Cathedral continuing beyond the city walls through the porta de Leone.
The building is a result of work and restoration attempts that spanned centuries with the primary aim of preventing collapse due to the inclination of the Tower.
The Tower is formed by a cylindrical body of masonry encircled by arcades with arches and columns on the base. It is topped by a belfry.
Within the masonry area is a spiral staircase with 293 steps.
The original building project lasted over two centuries as follows:
1173 - Work begins on August 9, 1173.
1182 - The stone works of the bell tower of
St. Mary began.
1185 - Probable interruption at the height of the
1198 - Documented presence of a bell ringer.
1231 - Building work began again.
1233 - Worker Benato Bettici pledges to be
solicitous and attentive in his work.
1260 - Master builder Giovanni di Simone intervenes
in the construction of the Tower Building
1278 - Building proceeds up to the 7th order where
a correction of the axial inclination is
made. Building work is further suspended.
1292 - Giovanni Pisano measure the inclination of
the Tower with a plumb line.
1360 - Tomasso Pisano completers the construction
after almost a century, building the belfry
and making the last geometric correction.
The Tower is 58.36 meters from the foundation and 55 meters from the ground. The center of gravity is 22.6 meters above the foundation. The exterior of the foundation is 19.58 meters with a central aperture of 4.5 meters.
Please see the photos I have in my Travelogue of Pisa
- Pros:It's amazing to look at.
- Cons:There isn't much else here
- In a nutshell:Go to see the Leaning Tower
Here is a diagram of the grounds of the Torre Pendente more travel advice
seagoingJLW's Related Pages
Pisa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More then just the leaning tower"
- "PISA is a lot more than just the leaning tower"
- "Citta con torre ubbriacato"
- "Pisa, gateway to Tuscany"
- "Beautiful Pisa"
- "So much more than a tower!"
- "A pleasant surprise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pisa
- Hotels in Pisa
- Transportation in Pisa
- Nightlife in Pisa
- Restaurants in Pisa
- Shopping in Pisa
- Warnings and Dangers in Pisa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pisa
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Pisa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pisa
Photos in PisaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 96 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 85 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 66 reviews, 69 photos
- Europe Intro, 3 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 10 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues