"Merhaba" Istanbul by seagoingJLW
Istanbul Travel Guide: 7,829 reviews and 20,234 photos
Istanbul straddles two continents Almost three millennia of history explain the densely historic landscape of Ottoman mosques, Byzantine mosaics and Roman masonry.
Byzas, a Greek speculator looking for prime real estate consulted the Oracle at Delphi in the 7th century BCE. He was told to settle "opposite the Land of the Blind." The city was first named Byzantium in his honor.
Late in the second century AD, Rome conquered the small city/state of Byzantium and in 330 AD Emperor Constantine moved his capital there from Rome and renamed it Constantinople.
While western Europe collapsed before invasions of Goths, Vandals and Huns, Constantinople didn't fall until the misguided Fourth Crusade. when Crusaders abandoned the dreams of Jerusalem and ravaged Constantinople in 1204.
The Byzantines regained the city in 1261 Then the Ottoman Turks laid siege in 1314, but withdrew. Finally, in 1453, the walls were breached just north of Topkapi Gate. Mahmet II marched to Hagia Sofia, converted the church to a mosque and the Byzantine Empire ended.
During the glittering reign of Suleyman the Magnificent (1520-66) the city buiilt many new graceful buildings.
Istanbul was occupied by Allied Forces after World War I. Then Ataturk's armies shaped a new republican state. The Turkish Republic was proclaimed in 1923.
Istanbul was Constantinople
Not it's Istanbul not Constantinople
Been a long time gone old Constantinople
Still it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night.
Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul not Constantinople.
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul.
Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say.
People just liked it better that way.
Take me back to Coinstantinople
No you can't go back to Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul not Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks.
- Pros:Wonderful, fascinating city.
- Cons:Crowded traffic, the usual
- In a nutshell:Spend a lot of time here.
Also visit the Roman Hippodrome, the Egyptian Obelisk, the Basilica Cistern and the Dolmabahce Palace (pictured... more travel advice
Then there is the covered bazaar. What a wealth of objects to buy! And what a maze in which to get lost! more travel advice
seagoingJLW's Related Pages
Istanbul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STROLLING THROUGH ISTANBUL"
- "The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
- "Istanbul not/and Constantinople"
- "istanbul tips"
- "My Beloved Istanbul"
- "Beauty, Culture, & History - All In One Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Istanbul
- Hotels in Istanbul
- Transportation in Istanbul
- Nightlife in Istanbul
- Restaurants in Istanbul
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Warnings and Dangers in Istanbul
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Istanbul
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Istanbul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istanbul
Photos in IstanbulSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 96 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 85 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 66 reviews, 69 photos
- Europe Intro, 3 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 10 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Istanbul hotel reviews
- Sur Hotel Istanbul
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Terrace Guesthouse
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Bebek Hotel
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 1, 2013
- Queens Park Tekirova Hotel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 9, 2013
- Neverland Hostel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Fors Hotel
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 2, 2013
- Hotel Aslan Istanbul
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Second Home Hostel
- 343 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Hotel Hamidiye
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Q-Inn Hotel, Old City (Sirkeci)
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Marmara Pera
- 336 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Allstar Grand Yavuz Hotel
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Hotels Amp Amp Resorts
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Hilton Parksa Istanbul
- 201 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Berr Hotel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 27, 2013