"Capital of an Independent Republic" Roseau by seagoingJLW
Roseau Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 34 photos
Dominica is an island republic within the Commonwealth. It has an area of 290 square miles located in the Eastern Caribbean. Its population is about 74,000.
Roseau is its capital and chief town. It is located on the southwest coast at the mouth of the Roseau River.
The island was originally settled by the Carib Indians. It was named by Columbus after the day on which he first saw it...Sunday, November 3, 1493.
In 1607 Captain John Smith stopped there at the port village of Portsmouth. The French and English signed a neutrality treaty in 1660 after France had claimed the island in 1635. this was followed by the constant squabbling between the French and the English. In 1763 the French gave the island to Britain under the Treaty of Paris, but tried to recapture it in 1795 and 1805 without any luck.
In 1967 Dominica became a West Indies Associated State.and in 1978 it became an independent republic within the Commonwealth.
The photo shows Roseau, Dominica as we approached the harbor.
- Pros:Pretty town
- Cons:Tropical climate--hot and wet.
- In a nutshell:We got caught in a downpour.
seagoingJLW's Related Pages
Roseau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Around Roseau"
- "Capital of an Independent Republic"
- "Roseau, WD."
- "Real Caribian"
- "Roseau, Dominica - Great place for snorkeling"
- "Capital of the Caribbean Gem"
- "Interesting small capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roseau
- Hotels in Roseau
- Transportation in Roseau
- Warnings and Dangers in Roseau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roseau
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Roseau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roseau
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 96 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 85 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 66 reviews, 69 photos
- Europe Intro, 3 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 10 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues