"Cruising Around the World" seagoingJLW's Profile

Eureka!! Some old photos from Japan in 1954 just turned up. Take a look at my Japan page travelogues.

You may have noticed that I haven't added anything recently, and we haven't cruised. Both Irwin and I have been suffering from osteoarthritis. That affects our mobility. Irwin is limping around. I just got a new hip replacement which helps a great deal. He won't get one because he thinks he is too old. I will keep in touch.

My travels through the United States and some of Canada were mainly done years ago when I was a child and drove with my parents cross country quite frequently. We all loved to do sightseeing in the summer.
Unfortunately, most of the old photographs have disappeared. Some have yellowed with age. I have taken the liberty of using pictures found on the web to make these pages of mine more interesting.

Favorite VT Travel Pages

Of all my travel pages on VT the following are my personal favorites:

Brunei
Mazatlán, Mexico
New York City
Alexandria, VA
Washington, DC

For general information about traveling in the United States, see my page on the United States. I have included franchised hotels and restaurants in the US,

NOTE

Now that we have retired, my husband and I take about two cruises a year. We prefer exotic locations and cruises of about two weeks' duration. See the list of cruises below. Click on the name of the ship to see my travelogue about that ship.

Luggage Ideas

Put colored racing stripes all over your luggage. You can buy them in auto supply stores. That way you can identify your luggage at the airport very easily.
Pack your clothing in halves. No more his and her suitcases. Each of your clothing should be in both suitcases in case one is lost.
Pack a list of your itinerary (including dates) inside your suitcase along with a home contact. It is best not to leave your home address in the suitcase since that tells people you are not home.

NOTA BENE

In Sydney, when it was near time for our flight home to be called, everyone was told to leave the waiting room (unlike passengers on other flights.) We had to go to a special gate just to have our hand luggage hand searched. The Australians were very thorough. When I asked how come we had to go through this and the passengers who had just left for Singapore didn't, I was told that the FAA pays Australia very well to do this. Beware of hand searches if you are flying to the USA.

Our Retirement Cruises

Sept 3, 1989- Great Cities of Asia on the Ocean Pearl (Pearl Cruise Lines)
Visited Hong Kong, Tai Wan, Manila, Brunei, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Bangkok
Sept. 15, 1991- Grand Europe Cruise on the Ocean Princess (Ocean Cruise Line).
Visited London, Le Havre, La Rochelle, Lisboa, Cadiz, Malaga, Palma de Mallorca, Nice.
Feb. 18, 1993-Spice Islands on the Ocean Pearl (Pearl Cruise Line.)
Visited Singapore, Phuket, Nias in Sumatra, Padang in Sumatra, Jakarta, Semarang in Java, Surabay in Java, and Bali.
Sept. 27, 1993- Eastern Mediterranean on the Song of Norway (Royal Caribbean Cruise Line)
Visited Venice, Corfu, Messina Sicily, Naples, Livorno, Civitavecchio, Villefranche, Palma de Mallorca, and Barcelona.
Sept. 22, 1994- Imperial China on the Marco Polo (Orient Lines)
Visited Beijing, Dalian, Qingdao, Zhenjiang, Nanjing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong.
Dec. 12, 1994- Partial Panama Canal and the Caribbean on the Meridian (Celebrity Cruises)
Visited San Juan P.R.,, La Guaira Venezuela, San Blas Islands, Curacao, Martinique, and St. Thomas.
Sept. 14, 1995- Black Sea eastern Mediterranean on the Crown Odyssey (Royal Cruise Line)
Visited Athens, Yalta, Odessa, Constanza in Roumania, Istanbul, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Patras,
Venice.
May 18, 1996- Great Britain and Northern Europe on the Royal Princess (Princess Cruise Lines)
Visited London, Falmouth, Cobh in Ireland, Dublin, Edinburgh, Oslo, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Amsterdam, and Bruges.
Nov. 29, 1996- Atlantic Mural on the Vistafjord (Cunard Line)
Visited Malaga, Funchal in Madeira, Tenerife the Canaries, Cape Verde Island, Devil's Island in French Guyana, Barbados, Grenada, St. Lucia, Guadeloupe, Antigua and St. Thomas.
May 3, 1997- Panama Canal on the Cunard Crown Dynasty (Cunard Line)
Visited Ft. Lauderdale, Ocho Rios in Jamaica, Cartagena Colombia, Puerto Caldera in Costa Rica, Acapulco and Los Angeles.
Dec. 13, 1997- Seafarer on the Ryndam (Holland America Line)
Visited Ft. Lauderdale, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Guadeloupe, St. Thomas and Nassau.
April 18, 1998- Transatlantic on the Splendour of the Seas (Royal Caribbean Cruises Intl)
Visited Miami, St. Thomas, Funchal, Tangier Morocco, and Barcelona.
Dec. 3, 1998- Panama Canal on the Statendam (Holland America Line)
Visited Los Angeles, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Puntarenas in Costa Rica, Cartagena Colombia, Aruba, Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas and Ft. Lauderdale.

Retirement Cruises continued.

April 7, 1999- Iberia and Northern Africa on the Maasdam (Holland America Line)
Viisited Lisboa, Cadiz, Casablanca, Gibraltar, Cagliari in Sardinia, Palermo in Sicily, La Goulette (Tunis) in Tunisia, Valetta in Malta, Ancona, Italy and Venice.
Dec. 13, 1999- Round Trip Panama Canal on the Crown Princess (Princess Cruise Line)
Visited Ft. Lauderdale, Cartagena, Puerto Limon in Costa Rica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.
April 5, 2000- Journey to the Antiquities on the Legend of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)
Visited Dubai UAE, Muscat in Oman, Salalah in Oman, Aqaba in Jordan, Sharm el Sheik in Egypt, the Suez Canal, Port Said in Egypt (for Cairo), Ashdod in Israel (for Jerusalem), Haifa in Israel, Kusadasi in Turkey and Athens.
Dec. 8, 2000- Mexican Riviera on the
Statendam
(Holland America Line)
Visited San Diego, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Puerto Vallarta.
May 9, 2001- Mediterranean Medley on the
Rotterdam
(Holland America Line)
Visited Barcelona in Spain, Monte Carlo in Monaco, Civitavecchia in Italy (for Rome), Naples in Italy, Valetta in Malta, Kusadasi in Turkey, Patmos in Greece, Katakolon in Greece, and Venice in Italy.
November 17, 2001- Route of the Ancient Traders on the
Rotterdam
(Holland America Line)
Visited Barcelona in Spain, Livorno in Italy (for Firenze), Ville Franche in France, Marseille in France, Palma de Mallorca in Spain, Almeria in Spain (for Granada and the Alhambra), Gibraltar, Casablanca in Morocco, Agadir in Morocco, Lanzarote in the Canary Islands, Tenerife in the Canary Islands, Funchal in Madeira, St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador) in the Bahamas, and Fort Lauderdale, Florida in the U.S.A.
March 3, 2002- Australia-New Zealand on the Legend of the Seas (Royal Caribbean Line)
Visited Auckland, Tauranga, Christchurch, Dunedin in New Zealand and Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney in Australia.
November 25, 2002- Hawaii on the
Statendam
(Holland America Line)
Visited Hilo (on Hawaii,) Honolulu (on Oahu,) Nawiliwili (on Kawai,) Lahaina (on Maui,) and Kona (on Hawaii.)

Yet More Cruises

December 8, 2003 - Mexican Riviera on the Mercury(Celebrity Cruises)
Visited San Diego, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, and Manzanillo.

May 28, 2004 - Scandinavia and St. Petersburg on the Jewel of the Seas (Royal Caribbean Cruise Line)
Visited Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, and Tallinn.

December 11, 2004-Southern Caribbean on the
Maasdam (Holland American Line).
Visited Half MoonCay(Bahamas),Roseau, Dominica
Bridgetown, BarbadosMoonCay(Bahamas),Roseau (Dominica), Bridgetown ( Barbados),
St. Thomas (USVI), St. Kitts, and San Juan, PR

June 20, 2005-Great Britain and Norway on the Jewel of the Seas (Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.)
Visited Le Havre, Plymouth, Cork, Dublin, Glasgow, Bergen, Geiranger, Flam and Amsterdam.

We have cancelled our bookings for more cruises due to the problems which accompany our advancing age. Unfortunately, both Irwin and I are suffereing from various problems which interfere with our mobility. Here's hoping things will improve with time and the right physicians.

Flying aka Torture

What Do We Do? We Fly!
by Richard Rodgers and Stephen Sondheim (from the musical Do I Hear a Waltz?)

Lloyd tells me, Never go by plane.
I tell Lloyd, Flying is insane.
We agree. We would rather die.
We see a brochure and sign for a tour
And what do we do? Fly!

It starts the minute you check in:
Departure time is at noon.
A cup of tea and a schnecken.
And quick! It's leaving soon.
One o'clock and you're at the gate.
Two o'clock and the flight's still late.
When you finally leave it's eight.
And what do we do? We fly.

I hate planes--sitting three abreast.
I hate planes. Never get a rest
I hate planes. Every single one
The crossing was rough
Which wasn't enough.
The fun hadn't yet begun.

The seat was throwing my back out.
But there I was with a book.
When suddenly there's a blackout
And everywhere you look
Is a closeup of Doris Day
Ninety minutes of Doris Day!
There was nothing to do but pray.
And how do we go? We fly!

I hate planes. Most of all the sound.
I hate planes. Even on the ground.
Can't stand planes , even more than
those,
The kids in the aisle surrounding you
while
Their parents pretend to doze!

The kid I noticed the first was
The one who stood on my feet.
The one I hated the worst was
The one who kicked my seat.
There was one on the left who bit
There was one on the right who spit.
There was one in the back I hit.
But what did we do? We flew!

I hate planes. Never can adapt.
I hate planes. Always feel I'm trapped.
Can't stand planes, most of all the
chow.
To know what is what is difficult,
But I think I've discovered how.

The shiny stuff is tomatoes
The salad lies in a group.
The curly stuff is potatoes.
The stuff that moves is soup.
Anything that is white is sweet.
Anything that is brown is meat.
Anything that is gray, don't eat.
But what do we do? We fly!

You're zooming up like a comet
Your ears are staring to ring.
Your neighbor's starting to vomit.
There's ice along the wing.
As you wait for your palms to dry
You can see your whole life flash by--
And they tell you it's fun to fly!
Your chance of survival's so remote.
You're far better off to cut your throat.
But who has the time to take a boat?
So what do we do? We fly!

• Intro Updated Feb 10, 2008

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

seagoingJLW

“Cruising around the world”

Real Name