"Just a few hours" Golmud by John195123
Golmud Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 6 photos
We arrived in Golmud at midnight, pushing through the taxi drivers with the standard intent not to get ripped off. Outside the train station, there was nothing open. The Lonely Planet's hotel was closed, leaving us at the mercy of a friendly woman who owned a tiny hotel just to the right of the station exit. For 20 yuan per person for the night, we stayed in somewhat clean but very scant rooms. Before going to bed, we discussed with them the plan for the next day and found that a friend of theirs was going to drive to Dunhuang with another couple. We tentatively and apprehensively said, "yes" to the driver. It's not that he seemed like a bad guy, it's just that, at that time of night locals have a tendency to try to rip off foreigners.
We met the next morning at 6am, waited for the other passengers, and had a very pleasant drive through the desert in his VW Santana 3000 to Dunhuang. He didn't overcharge and offered to drive us other places if we wanted.
John195123's Related Pages
Golmud Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Relaxing after the bus from Lhasa"
- "Just a few hours"
- "Golmud - on Christmas"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Golmud
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Golmud?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Golmud
Top 10 Pages
- Lijiang Intro, 85 reviews, 310 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Louisville Intro, 149 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Colorado Springs Intro, 88 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos, 7 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 21 reviews, 104 photos, 10 travelogues
- Xinjie Intro, 14 reviews, 100 photos, 8 travelogues
- Jinghong Intro, 23 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hohhot Intro, 17 reviews, 81 photos, 6 travelogues
- Menghan Intro, 10 reviews, 80 photos, 7 travelogues
- Zhaoxing Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues