Hangzhou Restaurant Tips by John195123
Hangzhou Restaurants: 56 reviews and 65 photos
One of the best known restaurants on the lake, Louweilou, in my mind was a disappointment. I am very much a gourmet, though I can appreciate a simple hamburger as well as the next guy. But as such, I've begun to notic that, in China, it doesn't matter if you go to the most expensive place or a little family joint, the food just about tastes the same. The reason for this, of course, is the obsessive and relentless use of MSG. I'm sure there are some of the top places that don't taste the same, but no one place in China has really stood out as being "oh so good".
However, at Louweilou, they offered things that were unique... chicken, baked in newspaper and mud (what it looks like) and called Beggar's Chicken. It was too expensive for our budget, as was the Vinegar Fish, but that's what they're known for and they had some other good to decent food. It has a nice view of the lake.
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: On the road on Gushan Island.
There are three Papa John's in Hangzhou. To the rest of the world, this means nothing, but to me... Papa John's is from my home city. So it was nice to see... and have.
Favorite Dish: They still don't understand tomato sauce in China... you need it! Flavor! Not just cheese and bread.
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Right on the lakefront street... more info soon!
Price: less than US$10
Highly recommended, especially after being unwillingly forced to stay in cold, wet Hangzhou.
Favorite Dish: Pizza and salads are good! And the even have Moosehead Beer!
Address: Right next to the MingTown Youth Hostel!
Comparison: about average
John195123's Related Pages
Hangzhou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "H A N G Z H O U - its a heaven on earth!"
- "Maria's Hangzhou"
- "Hangzhou, one of the most beautiful citie in China"
- "breathing. flying. relaxing in the poem city"
- "If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha"
- "Hangzhou and the most famous lake in China"
- "City of heaven..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hangzhou
- Hotels in Hangzhou
- Transportation in Hangzhou
- Nightlife in Hangzhou
- Restaurants in Hangzhou
- Shopping in Hangzhou
- Warnings and Dangers in Hangzhou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hangzhou
- 7 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Hangzhou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hangzhou
Top 10 Pages
- Lijiang Intro, 85 reviews, 310 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Louisville Intro, 149 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Colorado Springs Intro, 88 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos, 7 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 21 reviews, 104 photos, 10 travelogues
- Xinjie Intro, 14 reviews, 100 photos, 8 travelogues
- Jinghong Intro, 23 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hohhot Intro, 17 reviews, 81 photos, 6 travelogues
- Menghan Intro, 10 reviews, 80 photos, 7 travelogues
- Zhaoxing Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues