Hohhot Things to Do Tips by John195123 Top 5 Page for this destination
Hohhot Things to Do: 24 reviews and 49 photos
Detail Da Zhao Lamaserie
The bigger of the two, Da Zhao is across the street from the Xilitu Zhao Lamaserie and seems to be more of a tourist destination. While there we watched some guy, probably a local politician up for election or something, go through the process as if he were a real Buddhist. Maybe he was, but it seemed like he needed to be walked through the process. There are also more souvenir shops here, so if you want to buy some souvenirs, this is the place to do it.
Seated at the Gate
Again, a lot of beautiful bits of architecture to this place. Another piece of serenity in the chaos that abounds.
The Great Mosque's Minaret
It's not really packed with tourists- in fact we didn't see any- and it's not very big or really all that impressive. It is nice, within the grounds, and it's possible there's an entrance fee, but we weren't asked to pay anything and we went in the back anyway, not trying to avoid payment, just exploring the streets.
The Great Mosque in Hohhot is unique, in my mind. It is quiet pretty inside- but more like a mosque with Chinese flair than a Chinese style used as a mosque, if you will, kind of like Xi'An's Great Mosque)
Inside... dark, mysterious, serene
One of two major Lamaseries in Hohhot, Xilitu is the smaller, with a nicer "feel" to it. It's a beautiful place, peaceful, unless there happen to be ceremonies going on, in which it feels, possibly, more festive. I wrote about this and the Da Zhao Lamaserie in the Tourist Trap section, because they are designed in part for tourists, these days. But Xilitu is less touristy.
See the "Xilitu Zhao Ceremonies" and the "Xilitu Zhao Images" travelogue for more images.
More Reviews (13)
- See All TEXT SOON!
- See All Fresh Fruit
- See All Billiards
- No pork, but beef and mutton!
John195123's Related Pages
Hohhot Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The blue city"
- "Bring Earplugs"
- "Grassland Culture Festival 2007 in Inner Mongolia"
- "Green City"
- "Inner Mongolia - Home of Ghengis Khan"
- "Hotpot in Hohot or learn about Volcano craters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hohhot
- Hotels in Hohhot
- Transportation in Hohhot
- Nightlife in Hohhot
- Restaurants in Hohhot
- Warnings and Dangers in Hohhot
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hohhot
- 17 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Hohhot?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hohhot
Top 10 Pages
- Lijiang Intro, 85 reviews, 310 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Louisville Intro, 149 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Colorado Springs Intro, 88 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos, 7 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 21 reviews, 104 photos, 10 travelogues
- Xinjie Intro, 14 reviews, 100 photos, 8 travelogues
- Jinghong Intro, 23 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hohhot Intro, 17 reviews, 81 photos, 6 travelogues
- Menghan Intro, 10 reviews, 80 photos, 7 travelogues
- Zhaoxing Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues