"Mitchell--small town South Dakota" Top 5 Page for this destination Mitchell by JennJenn

Mitchell Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 68 photos

Corn Palace 360

City of the Corn Palace and really bizarre statues around town. Can you handle it?

The State's Largest Bird feeder

The Corn Palace is the biggest tourist attraction in Mitchell. People flock to the down town, er.. Uptown, just to have their picture taken in front of it.

I lived here for nearly a year, so check out Mitchell through all seasons on my pages.

• Pros:On the Interstate. And for outdoorsmen: Cabela's.
  • Cons:Not much else here.
  • In a nutshell:Corny town.
  • Last visit to Mitchell: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 6, 2004

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2006 at 10:59 AM

Nice taste of Mitchell! You do them proud. Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• Oct 13, 2005 at 4:54 AM

Tom Jones @ the Corn Palace! And, are all the locals as lively as Zeke & Zack? lol! (only joking). Good on you for giving small town America Mitchell a decent write up Jenn.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2005 at 8:55 AM

Finally a page for the Corn Palace. I have a soft spot in my heart for unabashed tourist traps like this.

• Easty's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2005 at 8:29 PM

I passed through here and saw the Corn Palace when I was little. There is definitely more than the Corn Palace in Mitchell.

• niecole's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2004 at 12:14 PM

You did a great Job on your Mitchell Page! I was born and raised there for 18 years.

• Jan 6, 2004 at 3:27 PM

I grew up in Mitchell. Good memories of childhood there. Yeah, many summer nights spent at the Zesto. When did you live there? I left for college in 1986 and have only visited a few times since then.

• vaticanus's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2003 at 4:35 PM

Let's see--Singing Pickles, 4 day Rodeo, a CORN FERTILITY RITE with a chilli cooking contest, plus a drive-in movie and there's more?!?!! I'm speechless with wonder. Where's an ethnographer when you need one?

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2003 at 4:23 PM

Enjoyed your comments about Mitchell. I wish I had known about the Kelly Special on my last visit!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2003 at 3:17 PM

Hey Jenn....if I ever find my way up to Mitchell, let's have a mini-VT meeting. We can eat at Zestos and then see a horror flick at the drive-in. That'd be midwestern cool beyond belief. Very interesting hometown page.

• blaird's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2003 at 9:54 AM

I still talk about the corn palace almost 10 years after my visit.

JennJenn

“"travel is a tonic for the soul..." --jason harrod”

Badges & Stats in Mitchell

Have you been to Mitchell?

Latest Activity in Mitchell