"Lincoln's Hot Spot" Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln by JennJenn
Lincoln Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 189 photos
My favorite bits of Lincoln are nearly all within only a couple blocks of one another, with the Lied Center for performing arts in the center.
First, The Lied Center:
The Lied gets quality entertainment- touring Broadway productions, singers, bands, orchestras, ballet. It's wonderful.
Surrounding the Lied is one of the lovelist areas in town. It is on the edge of the downtown campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Just to the north is the Statue Garden, and next to that...
SHELDON ART GALLERY: Art. A quality art gallery. My favorite piece is the Hopper.
The Lied is surrounded by performing arts. Attached and to the west is KIMBALL RECITAL HALL where UNL's School of Music holds many performances. To the east is THE TEMPLE BUILDING, another theatre for performing arts.
Just past the Temple is the MARY RIEPMA ROSS MEDIA ARTS CENTER, the one place in town to see independent, foreign and art films. Also, in July and August, the Ross hosts Movies on the Green in front of Kimball Recital Hall.
If you go just another block past the Ross, you will come across STARSHIP 9. This buiding, unlike all of these mentions, is NOT a part of campus. It's the second-run, $2 theatre. Great for a budget.
Switching back to the west and going past Kimball Hall you will find Architecture Hall- the oldest building on the UNL campus (and possibly in Lincoln, I will have to check). It's a nice building and I am told has the largest urinal west of the Mississippi. I don't know what to think about that claim..
If we extend our circle a few blocks, let me take you to the north, there you cannot possibly miss the behemoth that is Memorial Stadium, home of the beloved team, the 'Huskers (short for Cornhuskers). If you haven't been to a Nebraska football game, it's an experience. Downtown becomes gridlock before and after games, the entire state of Nebraska shuts down as fans (every citizen living in Nebraska practically) sit down to the TV to watch. If you see a person NOT wearing red, I will congratulate you.
After the game, or after a show at the Lied, many people will head a few blocks to the west, to the Haymarket. The Haymarket contains many of the best restaurants in Lincoln as well as some excellent coffeeshops. In the summer, a FARMERS' MARKET is held each Saturday Morning. (May-October)
- Pros:Lots going on
- Cons:It would seem small to someone from a city
- In a nutshell:A small-town attitude, but still plenty to do.
Smack in the middle of the historic Haymarket district downtown, The Mill takes the old brick warehouse look and goes... more travel advice
Do you bleed Husker Red? Most of Lincoln, and the entire state of Nebraska does. So, if you're in town on a football... more travel advice
JennJenn's Related Pages
Lincoln Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lincoln, Nebraska"
- "Lincoln's Hot Spot"
- "There is no place like...Lincoln!"
- "Willa Cather's Alma Mater"
- "Lincoln - small city or a big small town?"
- "Welcome to Lincoln! ENJOY!"
- "Lincoln, Nebraska... Music and More"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lincoln
- Hotels in Lincoln
- Transportation in Lincoln
- Nightlife in Lincoln
- Restaurants in Lincoln
- Shopping in Lincoln
- Warnings and Dangers in Lincoln
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lincoln
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Lincoln?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lincoln
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mitchell Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Dakota Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Scotland Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Orange City Intro, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Columbus Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Freeman Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Stirling Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos