"Columbus--the railroad town" Columbus by JennJenn

Columbus Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 15 photos

"City of Power and Progress"

While Columbus may not exactly be on the "must visit" list, it has been my home for most of my life, so I'll work on giving you a slice of life from this town.

Columbus, I was once told, has around 70-80 trains coming through each day. I can easily believe it with the sound of the horns echoing through town all day. I can hear one now, actually! Don't expect to hitch a ride on one of these trains though, no passenger trains come through Columbus.

Columbus is also located near where the Loop River (shown here) flows into the famous Platte River--the river pioneers said was "a mile wide and an inch deep." So between the rivers and the railroad, that's how a town popped up here.

Lots of industry in town. Little tourism. You better be creative if you want to find something to do, too. Unless you like horse racing. We've got the most ghetto track around.

• Intro Written Jan 12, 2004

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2004 at 12:30 PM

Interesting tribute to your home town. We'll be driving through Nebraska next month en-route to visit our son in Colorado. We always find so much of interest in your state. Looking forward to more.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2004 at 5:28 AM

I will run for a runza next time I'm in the neighborhood! Is it a chain throughout Nebraska, or only in Columbus?

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2004 at 12:42 PM

A nice little corner of America to live in! Great start!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2004 at 3:15 PM

I gotta love a girl who digs college sports, Jenn. I'm a Florida State grad and supporter, and I very much respect and admire the Huskers. Great peek at your hometown, dear.

JennJenn

“"travel is a tonic for the soul..." --jason harrod”

Badges & Stats in Columbus

Have you been to Columbus?

Latest Activity in Columbus