"Baden bei Wien - A place to relax" Top 5 Page for this destination Baden by socrates_07

Baden Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 225 photos

Baden bei Wien

After the day tour to Schneeberg we (the VT-members Sharrie, Audrey, Mel and me) went to Baden bei Wien. Unfortunately we arrived in the late afternoon so I couldnt take pictures at sunlight. Anyway, I have been there before so I have more photos for you....

If you are in Vienna and you are tired from all the people around you, you should go to Baden near Vienna. It is about 25 kilometers south of Vienna and if you have your own car you it´s easy to go there on the motorway. Of course you can take a train as well. I will tell you more in the "How to get there" chapter.

Baden is a town with its own flair, its unmistakingly grown atmosphere, embedded in the green rolling hills of the Viennawoods, surrounded by meadows and vineyards, a parkland like scenery ever since the founding of the town. And is a town of gardens and roses. The historic spa garden "Kurpark" and "Doblhoffpark" with its rosegardens made up of many thousend roses give you the necessary tranquility and recreation.

But Baden is most popular for its healthy thermal sulphur mineral springs. The healthy, sulphurous thermal springs, consistings of calcium - natrium - magnesium - sulphate - chloride minerals, flow out the ground at 36° C, thus forming the basis for the specific spa treatments and cures of Baden. Some 4 million liters sulphurous water are used daily in Baden.
Baden near Vienna has also one of the modernest Casino in Austria. It is located in the spa garden.

If you visit Baden you follow will be in the same town where Wolfgang Amadeus Morzart and Ludwig van Beethoven have been. But let´s begin with the Romans. They knew the spa as "AQUAE", 869 the name "PADUN" was first mentioned in records. The city-arms and town´s insignia awarded in 1480 tells of the now 2,000 year long bathing tradition. Baden near Vienna was the emperor`s residence in the Biedermeier era. The Habsburg court spent here every summer in between 1803 and 1834. The entourage cosisted of noblemen, rich citizens, artists and internationally renowned personalities.The era of the Biedermeir still can be found in Baden. Villas and palaces, fancy houses of citizens and squares remind of the renowned architects of the 19th century: Josef Kornhäusel, Peter Nobile, Karl von Moreau and Otto Wagner have built here. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Ludwig van Beethoven composed in Baden. Franz Liszt stayed here and so did Josef Lanner, Strauß father and son, Carl Michael Ziehrer and Karl Millöcker. The classical fassades of housefronts behind whose walls Emperor Franz I and Karl I, Maria Louise, the wife of Napoleon, the Duke of Reichstatt, Metternich and Gentz, Fanny Elßler and Moritz von Schwind, Franz Schubert and Karl Komzak have spent many summers. You see, Baden near Vienna is not an insignificant town.

But not only the town itself is worth to visit. Trails take you past the castle ruins of the Helena Vally to the monastery Heligenkreuz and the nunnery in Mayerling. Within easy reach in the surroundings are the Viennawoods, the grasslands of the 'Pußta' around Lake Neusiedl, the high mountains of Rax and Schneeberg.

• Last visit to Baden: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 6, 2005

• 1courage's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2007 at 12:48 PM

I`ve been in Baden several times. I just love the innercity tha park, the Casino, and the lovely hill above it wich I climbed each time I was there.

• Fam.Rauca's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2006 at 12:28 AM

Baden is a soundless town with important ancient buildings, small streets and a superb nature. Your excellent page shows the beauty of this place. Gabriela

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2005 at 5:08 AM

Oliver Baden looks like a beautiful spot too. Would you be interested in being a guide, LOL. What do you work at and stuff in Vienna? The more I see of Austria the better I am exploring just Vienna, Baden, Salzburg and Innsbruck I think.

• Aug 28, 2003 at 11:03 AM

If I'm not mistaken, I've been here when we visited Vienna..but I don't have a picture of me in there to prove though..*sigh*..I'm hoping to be back in Wien someday!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2003 at 2:28 PM

great infos and pics ! Baden is such a lovely town, but mostly unknown by tourists !

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2003 at 12:15 AM

This is the longest VT meet I've been on! 4 full days!!!!!! It has been fun :-D Hey, I decreed this a VT town, lol... u see more VTers than the locals!!!!!!

socrates_07

“The fate collates the cards and we have to play with them.”

Badges & Stats in Baden