"Amman--City of Smile" Amman by THLIN

Amman Travel Guide: 752 reviews and 1,580 photos

Roman Theatre...

For the first time, I travel to Middle East. This is not the first Muslim country I visit. But this is for sure the first Arabic country for me.
I am so suprised at how Jordanians' friendiness and their smile. Walking in the street, people just kept say Hi for me, even treat me with local fruit.
Am I a SuperStar here?! Maybe, who knows?!

Lesson in the street

These kids really gave me a lesson...
I used to complain about everything, the weather, traffic, Taipei and so on. But at my final day fo visit in Jordan, I met these kids in downtown near Roman Theatre. The little girl greeted me in English," How are you?!" "Hello!!" I was so surprised. I walked away with a smile. After a few seconds I return and found out that there was an old man sat next to these kids, I supposed that he was their grandpa. He sold melon seeds and some beans. On that moment, I fel so ashamed, I live in such a good place, I may not be rich but still can enjoy a very comfortable life. And those kid, they may not live in a good condition, but they are very happy and optimisitic. So I bought two pack of melon seeds cost me JD0.15. It must have been not enough for an elder and three kids, but I just did what I could, if I bought too much, in my opinion, it embarrassed and invaded their dignity.
They love taking pictures, I wanted to take three kids originally, but this is the result, quite messy but I still like it.
Hope they can remain nice and happy in their lives.

• Pros:Friendly people
  • Cons:HORRIBLE traffic
  • In a nutshell:safe place to visit
  • Last visit to Amman: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 23, 2005

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2012 at 2:02 AM

nice page

• Nov 3, 2009 at 3:50 AM

hi... im gleny from phil.. this december ill go to jordan to work as a nurse... is thier any racial descrimination happened in that country? wud it be safe for me to live in amman? can i ask you some advice in my living there?...thanks

• Jul 4, 2009 at 4:09 AM

extremely RUDE ? u know you have got no class ... and guess what you're not welcome here in our kingdom, besides you would face thoes kinda problemes everywhere . be nice next time , you still a guest here

• Feb 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I am always wondering why people do not eat local food in the countries , they visit? It is part of the experience!

• mfas2000's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2007 at 12:07 AM

I m glad you liked Jordan. You seem to have covered the country well..

• Jun 8, 2006 at 8:50 PM

the place you refer to is called Books@ cafe, its quite good, and yes its located in the first circle, but its not the only english book store around.. theres plenty of those :)

• zumodemango's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2006 at 4:11 AM

yes! you are true! sometimes we don't realise things untill we are far from home... i like your Amman page,by the way!

• Jan 8, 2006 at 10:10 AM

This place is called "Books@Cafe" and is an Amman institution. The books are expensive, but there other English book stores including the Prime Mega Store in the Mecca Mall, the Aramex locations on first circle and in Shmeisani, the University Book shop.

• leonik's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2005 at 4:49 PM

people in the region must be the friendliest in the world! shukran for the great tips! i must remember to contact fayez should i find my way to jordan in future!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2005 at 10:04 AM

People of Jordan are really nice! I also had a VT-meeting (acctually two) with Laurent in Amman.

THLIN

“Proudly Made in Taiwan...”

Badges & Stats in Amman