"Padang...Where Buffalo-Horn-Shaped Roofs Locate" Top 5 Page for this destination Padang by THLIN

Padang Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 166 photos

Finally, I've arrived.

I've wanted to visit this place for a long time with two very unclever reason. As a poor student, I cannot afford some 5-star hotel and full-fare air ticket. Therefore, where budget airlines fly, there my footstep goes. Flying Tiger Airways is a savvy choice, pay less and travel more. Visa on Arrival issue is a good thing for me and I don't need to rash to Foreign council in Taipei waiting for my visa to come. With these two elements, there my Indonesian trip comes out. To avoid all the hastle and bustle, I leave Jarkata and Surabaya, I choose Padang.
I know it's kinda shame for me to admit that I cannot prounce Padang correctly. I had to said West Sumatra otherwise people would wrongly consider my destination Batham where just a few kilometers away from Singapore.
Before mr departure, people told me that this is a boring city with few touristic sites. However, I really love this kind of atmoshere, wandering in the street, making contact with the locals, feeling their passion and kindness. I think I basically did the same thing as I did before when I was in Amman. I found one similar thing lies within these two place is the friendness of the locals and that impressed me a lot.

Selamat Tinggal...

If you ever visit my Amman page, you might remember that I was a SUPERSTAR in the street. Not alone this trip, I was with some people but still charming as usual. (lolz)
Thanks to my Malaysian friends who taught me some Bahasa Malayu, i was able to greet people I met on the street. I was impressed by these kids and one old lady. When I said, "selamat Tinggal." I could see their surprise in the eyes. Yah, I now know the importance of language.

Some history about Chinese-Indonesian

Thanks to Mr. Liu who told me brief introduction about C.Indonesian. This chapter is dedicated to him.
There are about 3million Chinese decendent living in this islands country. Jarkata has the largest population; 20% out of total inhabitants are Chinese in Medan; 30,000 live in Padang. Most of them are Hokkien in Sumatra; however, Mr. Liu is a Cantonese. Most of them can no longer speak Chinese or other dialect due to former president Suharto's policy. They have to change their surname to a local one; shop's name also need to be localised. In the crazy year of 1998, a lot of Chinese shops were attacked by irrational people, and Mr. Liu's is no exception. When he recalled that period, I felt bad for him or for all those who suffered. This is a tragedy of anachronistic misunderstanding, citizen are always innocent and let the wheel of an era walk through without mercy.
Now things there has changed a lot. Chinese are allowed to use their name; Chinese New Year is a national holiday. The later one really means a lot indeed.
Yah, Mr. Liu, we shell meet one day when you are here visting your sister.
Keep Well.

• Pros:cheap place to go
  • Cons:too dirty
  • Last visit to Padang: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2007 at 9:06 PM

great tips!

• black_mimi99's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2007 at 11:32 PM

ohhh great u h ave been here... u must be have a nive stay while in padang...:) salam mimi

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2006 at 8:54 AM

Great tips on Padang. Have same surname as Mr. Liu, is he Hakka too?

• Anastasia73's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2006 at 12:47 PM

Visiting your Indonesia page reminds me a lot of my home country!

• Feb 23, 2006 at 6:21 PM

Great photo on padang. Hope that you had a good time in Singapore. Thousands of apologies for not able to turn up at the VT meet even though I've signed up for it as I've sprained my back that day. *ouch*

• cokes's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2006 at 6:08 PM

Thanx for sharing man , this is a really good page.

• aukahkay's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2006 at 7:04 AM

Glad that you found interesting things to do in Padang. Your satay meal at the hotel should cost 70,000 Rp (US$7.50) and not 700,000 Rp!!

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2006 at 10:27 PM

Tzu, thanks for sharing about Padang, didn't know about the tiger airways connection. Did u try nasi padang??

THLIN

“Proudly Made in Taiwan...”

Badges & Stats in Padang