"Home Sweet Home Taipei" Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei by THLIN

Taipei Travel Guide: 1,403 reviews and 3,835 photos

Me, myself and Taipei...

Current Photo

Taipei 101 a place is well-known for all overseas Taipeian...

Past Picture

This photo was taken in National Palace Museum; recently they have an exhibition about Song Dynasty. The one in front is Song Hui Zhong, who is a talented artist while lousy emperor leading Song Dynasty to the end.

GungGuan...NTU locates here, in the very heart of Taipei city. I have been hanging around this area for like more than four years since I was a high school student. As I am going to graduate before long, I am going to miss this place so much. For Cafe like Starbucks, restaurant like Burger King's, they must have standardised service and food. However, I does taste different here, every drop of the coffe, every bite of the burger is even nicer and savouier here. I shall miss here keenly.
This photo is taken from Starbucks right across the Roosevelt Road.

After living in Taipei for more than 20 years, I think this is a place that I really love.
Some people may think that I love Sigapore or South Africa more than Taipei, well I have to admit that I love those places very much. But there is nothing comparable to my home town--Taipei City.

It's kinda strange for me, when being in Taipei, everything is so natural for me just like breathing the air or drinking water. For example, mid-night in MRT Taipei Main Station waiting for last train of the day or early in the morning catching my bus or I will be late for class... Kelly in Sex and City said that NYC is a place to fall in love with, in my experience, I've fallen in love with Taipei...My home town.

My favorite place to go is Shi Lin night market. You will NEVER be disappointed when visiting SNM, as long as you are a gluttion or shopholic. Here, you can enjoy local delicacies like fried chicken pie, taro (yam) ice kachong; or you like localised-foreign dish, you can still find "pasta." Due to the number of Japanese visitors, vendors here are able to speak few Japanese words or English. At least, they will let you know what they are selling. And now, there is even one Indian deli selling prata.

Brief Introduction...

SONY sponsored our New Year fire work show, so their new LCD TV has rights to remain in the tallest building for some time. Now they turn on the ad when the sky is clear...Sometimes I am lucky enough to see the giant billboard on my way to my drom in NTU's campus. It's pretty cool though it might be slightly more commercialised...

It is at the moment the highest buildings in the world. It's called Taipei 101 and because it has 101 floors. Pride of Taipei.
From the first floor to the fifth floor is a shopping centre called Taipei 101. There are many international brand name in the building. What's more, Page1 is one of the biggest bookestore in Taipei. If you want to see Taipei father, pay NT350/US12 and enjoy your trip.

Taipeian Sky...

"Tai" stands for Taiwan, and "Pei" which is north in Chinese. Therefore we get the conclusion, Taipei Stands for north part of Taiwan.
Lovers love without reasons just like people love their home town. Madly, irrationally, and whole-heartedly, I really cannot describe how deep is my love for her, since I don't have a girl friend at the moment :-). Comparing Taipei with other East Asian cities ,such as Hong Kong, Singapore, adn Shanghai , we may not be so international, but with the retreat of KMT govenment in 1949 form mainland China to Taiwan, there were many treasure also "immigrated" here, for instance, those antiques stored in National Palace Museum; Chinese cuisine etc. Therefore, I am sure that you can see whole China inside a small city, Taipei. On the other hand, Taipei is a young city which has only 120 years old. Last year (2004) we are celebrating the 120th anniversary of our city.

Also, you can see some Japanese temples because of the colonial of Japan. Even our state house was built in conolial period.
Taipei is my home. I was born here, grew up here, being educated here, and lived here. It's my favorite place in the world.

Population: 2.63 million(inhabitant) about 4 million in the day
Land area: 272 square km
About 80% involved in service industry
Mayor: Dr. Ma Ying-Jeou
Disposable Income per person: USD 9,978
Taipei was chosen top5 city in Asia.
Public transportation within the city: Bus, MRT (Subway)
Public transportation within the island: Airplane, Train, Bus.

Highlight of the city ( personal opinion for reference)
Shi Lin night market
National Palace Museum
Da-an Forestry Park
Mt. Yang-ming
Hot Springs in Bei-tou
Taipei 101 building
CKS Memorial Hall--in memorial of our former president Chiang Kei-Shiek
Hua-xi Night Market

• Pros:convenient life
  • Cons:crowded~~~
  • In a nutshell:simply the best
  • Intro Updated Aug 20, 2008

• Sep 20, 2008 at 9:08 AM

having watched the Taiwanese series, it's so beautiful country to go.. I would love to go there in May for a week. How much money should I bring? Anyone should advise me?

• Sep 10, 2008 at 7:13 AM

My dream is to be in Taipei 101 one day. I love the architecture!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2008 at 5:40 AM

great page!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2007 at 6:00 AM

Excellent food tips. The night food market in Taipei is great. Eslite bookstore - I spent a night there :)

• y_lyn's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2007 at 5:24 AM

I visited Taipei 2 years ago and I love the place... yes, Shilin night market didn't disappoint me, with all the fantastic food!

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2006 at 9:23 AM

Hello my friend Thlin. You have a very interesting Taipei tips. I understand you are in the army service now that's why you are offline for quite a while. Keep in touch when you get back! Regards from your friend in Toronto

• Daja123's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 9:55 AM

Great page on your home town! Your pictures and descriptions are wonderful.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2006 at 12:59 PM

Just realised I was here at yr pages 2 months ago rating...wooops! Gr8 Pics and tips! I will drop by again to rate more yr pages and look about...I was in TPE in `87.Love the city!

• jenaikes's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2006 at 7:59 AM

Shi Shi.Relaxing at my friend's home & starting to put up pics on BJ page so my Lao gong can have a look. I'm staying with our friends : )

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2006 at 3:17 PM

a great reminder of rpevious visits to Taipei - super food tips ;-)))

THLIN Used To Live Here!

THLIN

“Proudly Made in Taiwan...”

Badges & Stats in Taipei