"A Central Park for the World" Top 5 Page for this destination Adirondack State Park by kucha
Adirondack State Park Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 128 photos
Within an easy day's ride of our great city, as steam teaches us to measure distance, is a tract of country fitted to make a Central Park for the world. -
The New York Times editorial, August 9, 1864
Created by the New York State legislature in 1892, the Adirondack Park is HUGE!!! It covers 9,375 square miles, an area more than double the size of Yellowstone and Yosemite National Parks combined. The Park is a mosaic of 2.5 million acres of state-owned Forest Preserve intermingled with 3.5 million acres of private land. The private holdings vary from the vast properties of lumber and pulp companies to the town lots of year-round residents and locally owned businesses. The Adirondack Park is the largest park, federal or state, in the United States outside of Alaska!
In 1894 a state constitutional convention agreed to an amendment to the New York State Constitution containing the "forever wild" clause:
"The lands of the state, now owned or hereafter acquired, constituting the forest preserve as now fixed by law, shall be forever kept as wild forest lands. They shall not be leased, sold or exchanged, or be taken by any corporation, public or private, nor shall the timber thereon be sold, removed, or destroyed."
So this area is big, really big! You could roam around here for weeks, in fact.
However, for a quick getaway, my ebst suggestion is to head to the High Peaks area in the heart of the Adirondacks. High Peaks includes Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, and Tupper Lake.
- Pros:Beautiful, Peaceful and Off the Beaten Track for Many New York Visitors
- Cons:Very Large, with Key Sites Often 1 Hour or More Apart
- In a nutshell:The Perfect Outdoor Experience
Not far from our house, we discovered an amazing Great Camp, dating to the turn-of the century. It is White Pine Camp... more travel advice
This is a little bit touristy, but only because of the gift shop at the start and rather steep price to view a very... more travel advice
kucha's Related Pages
Adirondack State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Central Park for the World"
- "Forever Wild"
- "The 'Dacks!"
- "The High Peaks region"
- "Cabana Boy's Adirondack Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Adirondack State Park
- Hotels in Adirondack State Park
- Transportation in Adirondack State Park
- Nightlife in Adirondack State Park
- Restaurants in Adirondack State Park
- Shopping in Adirondack State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Adirondack State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Adirondack State Park
- 45 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Adirondack State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Adirondack State Park
Photos in Adirondack State ParkSee All Photos (88)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 93 reviews, 81 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adirondack State Park Intro, 45 reviews, 89 photos
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
- Sudan Intro, 59 reviews, 35 photos
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Botswana Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saba Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 21 reviews, 11 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 18 reviews, 13 photos