"Salisbury and the Litchfield Hills Region" Salisbury by kucha
Salisbury Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 5 photos
Nestled in the hilly, northwest corner of the state of Connecticut, Salisbury is the quintessential New England town. Anchored by the charming Scoville Library at one end and the stately White Hart Inn at the other end, the postcard-perfect town center contains a charming mix of storefronts, offering everything from baked goods, fine dining, gifts and books to upscale clothing and sporting goods. Plan on spending an afternoon exploring this tiny community! It makes the perfect daytrip from New York City -- or an even better bike trip destination. The drive (or ride) up from the New York area is beautiful and not to be missed during the fall leaf-turning season. Other quaint towns, worth stopping on a day or weekend excursion, include Litchfield, Kent and Lakeville.
Years ago I had the pleasure of visitng a private, family-owned community on a small lake near Mt. Riga. The tranquil acreage is owned by an extended family and appears much the way it did 100 years ago. Small cabines, no electricity and no motors on the lake -- only canoes. Although this particular area is not open to the public, the region has many areas for secluded camping and beautiful hiking. Climb to the top of Mt. Riga itself for stunning views in spring, summer or fall.
The Housatonic River flows from Western Massachusettes, about 150 miles to Long Island Sound. On the drive north from New York City, Route 7 follows much of the river's route, offering beautiful views of hills and covered bridges, as well as great antiquing and even water sports -- including kayaking and canoeing on the Housatonic. Try Clark Outdoors, in West Cornwall, for canoe and kayak rentals and/or short guided trips.
kucha's Related Pages
Salisbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salisbury and the Litchfield Hills Region"
- "View from Salisbury looking northwest"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salisbury
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Salisbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salisbury
Photos in SalisburySee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 93 reviews, 81 photos, 3 travelogues
- Adirondack State Park Intro, 45 reviews, 89 photos
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
- Sudan Intro, 59 reviews, 35 photos
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Botswana Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saba Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 21 reviews, 11 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 18 reviews, 13 photos