"A Diver's Delight" Top 5 Page for this destination Turks and Caicos Islands by kucha
Turks and Caicos Islands Travel Guide: 358 reviews and 1,532 photos
The Turks and Caicos Islands are a coral-reef paradise, largely shut off from the world, free of pollution and crowds -- although a lot of constructions sites seem to point toward a Bahamas-in-the-making. Still, the beauty and tranquillity of this island chain remain.
The highlight of Turks and Caicos is an incredible array of beaches, some stretches of soft white sand run for miles and some of the world's most magnificent underwater life. You can enjoy almost 500 miles of pristine underwater coral reefs whether you are a diver or a snorkler!!
Conde Nast once rated this pristine, white beach as one the best in the world. Others claim it's the best in the Caribbean. Certainly, if you picture the quintessential Caribbean beach, this is it. Clean, powedery white sands, not too many crowds, turquoise water. The only glitch is that the beachfront is now domniated by a strange and awkward new type of bird -- namely the giant construction crane. Avoid being annoyed by this by keeping your eyes turned firmly out to the crystal blue waters of the ocean.
I was told by a local that you cannot find better conch anywhere in the Caribbean, Indded, I had conch four different ways over the course of a four-day trip. It's fabulous and the ways and places places to try it, include:
Hemmingways Restaurant: Conch Strips
Aqua Restaurant: Pecan-Crusted Conch Filet
Gecko's Grille: Conch Fritters
Hole in the Wall: Conch Chowder
On the other hand, if you're not into eating it, just collect the beautiful shells that wash up on the beach -- like the one in this photo!
- Pros:Great Beaches and Fantastic Diving/Snorkeling!
- Cons:It's really just a series of sandbars, so don't look for geographic diversity!
As long as you're here ... and recognizing you can't just lie on the beach and/or dive every day (or can you?) ... you... more travel advice
If you're ready for a change from diving -- or just avoiding a dive prior to flying out -- try the Club Med day pass.... more travel advice
kucha's Related Pages
Turks and Caicos Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Special Islands in My Life"
- "Turks & Caicos - Almost Paradise Found"
- "Turks & Caico's-Carribeans last Tropical Paradise"
- "A Diver's Delight"
- "Pretty Beach, Warm Waters, Turtles,"
- "Provo Isle"
- "Beaches Resort at Providenciales, Turks & Caicos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Turks and Caicos Islands
- Hotels in Turks and Caicos Islands
- Transportation in Turks and Caicos Islands
- Nightlife in Turks and Caicos Islands
- Restaurants in Turks and Caicos Islands
- Shopping in Turks and Caicos Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Turks and Caicos Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Turks and Caicos Islands
- 9 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Turks and Caicos Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turks and Caicos Islands
Photos in Turks and Caicos IslandsSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 93 reviews, 81 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adirondack State Park Intro, 45 reviews, 89 photos
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
- Sudan Intro, 59 reviews, 35 photos
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Botswana Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saba Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 21 reviews, 11 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 18 reviews, 13 photos