"Lanzarote" Top 5 Page for this destination Canary Islands by cheekymarieh

Canary Islands Travel Guide: 4,973 reviews and 11,434 photos

Winter Warmth

Lanzarote in the Canary Islands is a great place to head if you want year round sun. The island is located just off the coast of Africa and although it actually belongs to Spain its geographic location is closer to Africa. The people seem to be a mixture of different ethnicities. I would find it hard to say that I had seen a typical Lanzarote native.

I have to admit that when we went in January I was pleasantly surprised at this fascinating little island which I assumed was little more than a volcano with a few little beaches.

Instead I found any island with much to see and do. There are many places of interest to see and we did our best in our week there. This was one of those places that I went with few expectations but came back with lots of great memories.

The local tourist board map here shows this compact little island. It is very arid and you will see a lot of the lava put to good use by the locals. The black of the lava makes a stunning contrast to the greens of the plants sprouting up above it.

Day time temperatures on the island tend to hover around 25C all year round. It also has a very low rain fall which means that you are virtually guaranteed fine weather for the whole year. To be honest, out winter is probably the best time to head over there - I actually had warmer weather than a friend who went in August!

• Pros:Warm all year round
  • Cons:The sea is cold, can be cold on a night
  • In a nutshell:A Week Is Probably Enough To See Everything
  • Last visit to Canary Islands: Jan 2001
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2003

cheekymarieh

“Life's Too Short To Sit At Home”

Badges & Stats in Canary Islands

Have you been to Canary Islands?

Latest Activity in Canary Islands