"Industrial Ostrava" Top 5 Page for this destination Ostrava by cheekymarieh
Ostrava Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 302 photos
Ostrava has an industrial heritage similar to North East England. It had a heavy dependency on the mining and steel industries which in recent years have declined.
The city is built on the banks of the River Ostravice. It is only 10 miles from the Polish border and 30 miles from Slovakia so it has influences from its neighbours.
Ostrava, admittedly wouldn't have leapt out at me as a place to visit and I probably wouldn't have done so. That changed howevere, when Middlesbrough were drawn against Banik Ostrava in their very first UEFA Cup game. Once the draw was made, most Middlesbrough supporters booked flights to Prague. I'd already carried out my research and straight after the draw I called my brother in Warsaw. My route turned out to be much cheaper as the low cost airlines soon put up their prices to Prague.
The game ended up marred by some hooligans fighting but it will stick in my memory for the late goal by one of your youngsters who came on and scored the equaliser.
- Pros:Cheaper than Prague
- In a nutshell:Krecik and Football
As the main reason for our trip was to see the football, we didn't have too much time for sightseeing. Our plan was just... more travel advice
Trams, buses and trolleybuses are plentiful around the city and run regularly to the city centre for the main railways... more travel advice
cheekymarieh's Related Pages
Ostrava Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The capital of Moravia-Silesian region"
- "C O L O U R S of O S T R A V A"
- "Industrial Ostrava"
- "Welcome to OSTRAVA (OSTRAU)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ostrava
- Hotels in Ostrava
- Transportation in Ostrava
- Nightlife in Ostrava
- Restaurants in Ostrava
- Shopping in Ostrava
- Warnings and Dangers in Ostrava
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ostrava
- 10 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Ostrava?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ostrava
Top 10 Pages
- Europe Intro, 56 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 50 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 48 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cyprus Intro, 48 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Famagusta District Intro, 47 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middlesbrough Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 25 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 40 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos