"Sun, Sand Sea and Parties" Top 5 Page for this destination Ayia Napa by cheekymarieh

Ayia Napa Travel Guide: 226 reviews and 444 photos

An Unfortunate Reputation

Once upon a time Ayia Napa used to be a small fishing village. In the summers of 2000 and 2001 it gained a reputation as a clubbers paradise. In 2002, however, a change of mayor has led to a clampdown on drugs and loud music. We saw families in the Square at night when we were there this month. Two years ago they would have found alternative destinations.

A 'Holiday Which' Report on Ayia Napa being a holiday not spot received coverage in the Times Newspaper. Things have been blown out of all proportion. Admittedly there have been a couple of incidents this year - but I am sure that your average Saturday night out in a town or city centre will bring more problems than Ayia Napa has! I still felt safe in the resort at night and the only problem I had was believing how quiet things were compared to when I worked in the area.

There is still a harbour from which fisherman work, but there is also an influx of tourist boats offering trips along the coast. Also on the outer boundaries you will still find the farmers who relied on the land for their income.

The main historical landmark within the resort is the 16th Century Venetian Monastery. This is a haven of peace and tranquility within the square area.

• Pros:Good beaches, excellent nighlife,
  • Cons:The odd tout trying to get you into their bar
  • In a nutshell:Fun In The Sun
  • Last visit to Ayia Napa: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated May 25, 2008

• Oct 26, 2006 at 7:04 PM

massive thanx 2 all @ the paloma

• Aug 13, 2006 at 3:35 AM

I need to find the paloma hotel with specfic directions,do you think yo could help me out? Thanks

• binnie's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 4:03 PM

Don't fancy that foam party, scared of it getting in my eyes.

• quartinb's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2005 at 4:44 AM

great summer resort that u beautyfully introduced me....tk u!

• neilward's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2005 at 7:27 AM

Hi,hows ny fav boro` fan ?? I`m off there in july,cant wait !!

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 1:44 AM

Sun is everywhere. What a paradise you've been!! :-)

• Oct 3, 2004 at 4:24 PM

Hi Cheekymarieh! Just a question for you really! Hope you can help me. I'm just back from Ayia Napa. Went to a restaurant called the hungry horse and looking for the address?Do you know if every address is a po box?

• ratherton's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2003 at 12:42 PM

Ayia Napa is great - I've been there with a Club 18-30 holiday and also with my girlfriend. Excellent holidays both times. Some good tips here but it you try that crazy A-Frame ride next to the rocket ride???

• Braveheart.southafrr's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2003 at 2:23 PM

the rocket ride sounds great fun.......kenneth

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2003 at 2:03 PM

Hi Marie, the night life in Ayia Napa is legendery, i wish i could go.

cheekymarieh Visits Here Frequently!

cheekymarieh

“Life's Too Short To Sit At Home”

Badges & Stats in Ayia Napa

Have you been to Ayia Napa?

Latest Activity in Ayia Napa