"Sun, Sand Sea and Parties" Top 5 Page for this destination Ayia Napa by cheekymarieh
Ayia Napa Travel Guide: 239 reviews and 502 photos
Once upon a time Ayia Napa used to be a small fishing village. In the summers of 2000 and 2001 it gained a reputation as a clubbers paradise. In 2002, however, a change of mayor has led to a clampdown on drugs and loud music. We saw families in the Square at night when we were there this month. Two years ago they would have found alternative destinations.
These days it is nothing like the days of old. The clubs & pubs are so much quieter. There has been a reduction in travellers from the UK, Scandinavia & the Netherlands, probably due to the high prices. Instead you find quite a lot of Russians.
There is still a harbour from which fisherman work, but there is also an influx of tourist boats offering trips along the coast. Also on the outer boundaries you will still find the farmers who relied on the land for their income but these days you have to travel further out as the some of the land has been developed for apartment & house building.
The main historical landmark within the resort is the 16th Century Venetian Monastery. This is a haven of peace and tranquility within the square area.
- Pros:Good beaches, excellent nighlife,
- Cons:The odd tout trying to get you into their bar or onto their boat trips
- In a nutshell:Fun In The Sun
Cavo Greco (Cape Greco) sea caves are well worth a visit. You will often see people diving off the cliffs. The secnery... more travel advice
It is very overcrowded in the height of summer. You will find it difficult to get a sunbed unless you are there before... more travel advice
cheekymarieh's Related Pages
Ayia Napa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PARADISE-LIKE BEACHES - NIGHT LIFE & FUN."
- "There is more than just the famous Party-scene !"
- "Sun, Sand Sea and Parties"
- "AYIA NAPA--THE PARTY CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!!! *"
- "Ayia Napa"
- "The Eternal Sunshine and the Turquoise Sea"
- "Ayia Napa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ayia Napa
- Hotels in Ayia Napa
- Transportation in Ayia Napa
- Nightlife in Ayia Napa
- Restaurants in Ayia Napa
- Shopping in Ayia Napa
- Warnings and Dangers in Ayia Napa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ayia Napa
- 17 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Ayia Napa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayia Napa
Top 10 Pages
- Europe Intro, 56 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 50 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 48 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cyprus Intro, 48 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Famagusta District Intro, 47 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middlesbrough Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 25 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 40 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos