"Larnaca" Larnaca by cheekymarieh
Larnaca Travel Guide: 267 reviews and 686 photos
Before the Turkish invasion of 1974 Larnaca was hardly known outside of the island. However after this time both Kyrenia and Famagusta were under Turkish occupation. Also the main Nicosia airport was held by United Nations as part of the dividing line.As a result the Greek Cypriots needed to construct an airport to cater for the tourist industry and the town of Larnaca was selected.
Within no time Larnaca International Airport appeared ... along with apartment blocks and hotels. The vast majority of the visitors to the island now land in Larnaca (Paphos airport handles only a fraction of the flights).
It is not a place to go for beaches (they are manmade ... and can be full of sea weed). There is a fine sea front with a long promenade to wander along.
For further information see the official Larnaca website: http://www.larnaca.com/
There are some remains from the pre-1974 times such as Halle Sultan (the Muslim Mosque) and several of the churches including St Lazarus.
- Pros:Near to the airport, some good restaurants, lots to see and do,
- Cons:Some aircraft noise if you stay in the MacKenzie Beach area, the beach isn't as good as Ayia Napa, Protaras area
- In a nutshell:A Lovely Promenade But Parking Can Be A Problem
You never know ... girls you may find yourself a rich man from one of the yachts! more travel advice
The Turks built the form as it is today in 1625. They built it upon the older Ventians foundations which were still in... more travel advice
- See All Half Day Closing
- Cyprus Airways
- Packing List
- See All Larnaca Hotels In The Brochures
cheekymarieh's Related Pages
Larnaca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a good base to explore a nice part of Cyprus"
- "I like Larnaca."
- "L A R N A C A"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Larnaca
- Hotels in Larnaca
- Transportation in Larnaca
- Nightlife in Larnaca
- Restaurants in Larnaca
- Shopping in Larnaca
- Warnings and Dangers in Larnaca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Larnaca
- 19 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Larnaca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Larnaca
Top 10 Pages
- Europe Intro, 56 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 50 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 48 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cyprus Intro, 48 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Famagusta District Intro, 47 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middlesbrough Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 25 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 40 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos