"A Journey Into The Unknown" Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos by cheekymarieh

Troodos Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 266 photos

Where's The Petrol Station?

Driving up into the Troodos Mountains in the middle of open countryside, the petrol gauge suddenly slips dramatically on the hire car.

Looking at the map there are only small villages so at the next roadside taverna I am forced to use my knowledge of the Greek language and ask where the nearest petrol station is. Two villages up I am told. We pass through the first very small village and as the road becomes nothing but a dirt track we finally reach the next, slightly bigger village. I drive up looking everywhere and still no sign of a petrol station. Almost out of the village, I decide that I had better ask somebody alse. Maybe my understanding of the Greek language wasn't as good as I thought. I tried again and was told I had passed it and was directed to a spot I had already passed. Still no sign of a petrol station. I sip and ask the man where I thought I had been directed to. "Wait a minute" I was told.

Next thing he appeared with a huge can of fuel, a dipstick and a funnel. My car was topped up while my passengers looked on in amazement. It just looked like one of the village houses.

There are some lessons to be learnt here - learn a few basics of the local language, don't rely on the patrol gauge on a hire car and don't expect everything to be as it is at home!!!

• Pros:Stunning scenery, a taste of traditional Cyprus
  • Cons:Finding a petrol station!
  • In a nutshell:Sun in summer, snow in winter (if you're lucky)
  • Last visit to Troodos: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 17, 2006

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 6:35 AM

You'll always remember that trip, your desperate search for petrol!!!

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2005 at 8:14 AM

I think its great when these village houses are restored, I could do with a bit of restoration myself, getting to look a bit like an antique - lol

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2002 at 1:17 PM

Kakopetria, ah memories thats the name of the village I've been to..thanks!

cheekymarieh Visits Here Frequently!

cheekymarieh

“Life's Too Short To Sit At Home”

Badges & Stats in Troodos

Have you been to Troodos?

Latest Activity in Troodos