"Historic Hartlepool" Top 5 Page for this destination Hartlepool by cheekymarieh
Hartlepool Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 55 photos
Hartlepool actually began its existence in around 647AD. It was actually founded in the area that is now known as 'The Headland', a peninsular jutting out into the North Sea. It's church is St Hildas which has a gateway to the sea. In this spot there was an abbey. Some of the ancient walls still remain.
The more modern part of Hartlepool is 'West Hartlepool'. It didn't come into being until the middle of the 19th century. A local business man decided to build another harbour to compete with the old one. The area became an area of heavy industry - mainly steelmaking and shipbuilding.
In recent years the whole of Hartlepool has undergone a major redevelopment as the heavy industries closed down. The first results are somewhat promising and the Hartlepool of old that I remember is no longer. In fact, even the local football team seems to have been revitalised along with the buildings.
Legend Of The Monkey
The story of the monkey-hanging legend dates back to the time of the Napoleonic War when a ship was wrecked off the Hartlepool coast. The British were very suspicious about the French trying to send spies. As the local fisherman were watching the boat struggling with the conditions wreckage was washed up on the shore.
Amongst the wreckage lay what looked like a survivor from the ship. It was actually the ship's monkey dressed in a military uniform.
The fishermen tried to question the monkey and held the trial there on the beach. The sailors decided that the monkey was a French spy and they sentenced it to be hanged from the the mast of a fishing boat.
- Pros:Some excellent restaurants
- Cons:It can be cold and wet in winter
- In a nutshell:A town undergoing regeneration
The restaurant is located on Hartlepool Marina, an excellent setting. The interior of the restaurant is spotlessly clean... more travel advice
If you're a football fan and want to go and watch a good game of football in a traditional ground (instead of a... more travel advice
cheekymarieh's Related Pages
Hartlepool Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home Town"
- "Historic Hartlepool"
- "Hartlepool born and bred!"
- "HARTLEPOOL NORTH EASTERN ENGLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hartlepool
- Hotels in Hartlepool
- Transportation in Hartlepool
- Nightlife in Hartlepool
- Restaurants in Hartlepool
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hartlepool
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Hartlepool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hartlepool
Top 10 Pages
- Europe Intro, 56 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 50 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 48 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cyprus Intro, 48 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Famagusta District Intro, 47 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middlesbrough Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 25 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 40 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos