"'You're Just A Small Town On Teesside'" Top 5 Page for this destination Middlesbrough by cheekymarieh

Middlesbrough Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 369 photos

A Brief Intro.

This area of the UK has more attributes than the southern journalists would lead you to believe. Every time Middlesbrough football team signs a foreign star the critics run down the area. Judge for yourself!

We are actually located in the north east of England close to the coast and also to the North Yorkhire Moors National Park

Although the area was originally noted for its heavy industry - shipbuilding, steelworks and chemical production - there has been a severe decline since the 1970s.

The River Tees has been cleaned up and a new white water rafteing and canoe park has been built. In the words of Chris Rea:
'They say that salmon swim in steel river
They say it's good to see them back again
I know it hurts to see what really happened
I know one salmon ain't no good to them
They were born and raised to serve their steel mother
It was they taught and all they ever knew
And they believed that she would keep their children
Even though not a single word was true
Say goodbye steel river'

Some famous locals include:

Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer (stars of Randall and Hopkirk Deceased ... notice the recent plug for the Boro on their show!)

Chris Rea (singer)

Middlesbrough Football Club

I have been a season ticket holder with Middlesbrough since 1981 and have seen may ups and downs. During all this time, I have travelled the length and breadth of the country for the cause.

"You're Just A Small Town On Teesside"

Opposition supporters often taunt Middlesbrough supporters with these words. They also reminded us that we had never won a trophy. No longer ! since the 29th February 2004! Middlesbrough Football Club winners of the League Cup ! and now for me to hopefully add some new pages to VT on my UEFA Cup travels.

The team itself could probably add some pages to VT from their own countries and the teams they have played for.

Mark Schwarzer, Mark Viduka & Brad Jones (Australia), Franck Quedrue (France), George Boateng, Jimmy Flloyd Hasselbaink & Bolo Zenden (Holland), Szilard Nemeth (Slovakia), Massimo Maccarone (Italy), Doriva (Brazil), Gaizka Mendieta (Spain), Joseph-Desire Job (Cameroon), and then the British contribution to the team from Ugo Ehiogu, Chris Riggott, Gareth Southgate, Malcom Christie, Ray Parlour, Stewart Downing, Colin Cooper and Stuart Parnaby.

So what can our UEFA Cup opponents look forward to when they come to play us? Read on.

• Pros:Many good restaurants, top football team
  • Cons:A few beggars on the streets
  • In a nutshell:Not As The Southern Press Present The Area!
  • Last visit to Middlesbrough: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2004

• stevezero's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2006 at 3:02 PM

More to your town than meets the eye. I pass by many times on the A1, must drop in one day. My sister used to live in Yarm.

• Mar 1, 2006 at 5:44 AM

My favourite memory is the Riverside too!

• binnie's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 3:58 PM

Are you in mourning today Marie. Sorry about your team, truly am xx

• kolabor's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2005 at 5:15 PM

I'd really love to visit Middlesbrough in the future and am really glad to see you've visited my country. Who knows, maybe you'll meet with Wisla Krakow or Cracovia in the Cups some time. You won't have a problem with place to stay and vodka supplies :P

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 9:46 AM

Cool page Cheeky Marie :-)

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2004 at 10:46 AM

Seems like August is the time to go with the folklore and riverside festivals:) Your food descriptions are great! Thanks for checking out my PR page, the food is excellent there:)

• wildheart's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2003 at 8:26 AM

I have been to central park a lot of times. But I wouldn't describe it as Mexican........more varied than that. Also, last time I rang to reserve a table, I was told I couldn't reserve.

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2002 at 9:45 AM

Lucky breaks by all accounts :-PPP

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2002 at 1:24 PM

The moor the merrier....thanks

• mamushka's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2002 at 6:12 AM

Great page!Happy Birthday from me too!

cheekymarieh

“Life's Too Short To Sit At Home”

Badges & Stats in Middlesbrough

Have you been to Middlesbrough?