"'You're Just A Small Town On Teesside'" Top 5 Page for this destination Middlesbrough by cheekymarieh
Middlesbrough Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 369 photos
This area of the UK has more attributes than the southern journalists would lead you to believe. Every time Middlesbrough football team signs a foreign star the critics run down the area. Judge for yourself!
We are actually located in the north east of England close to the coast and also to the North Yorkhire Moors National Park
Although the area was originally noted for its heavy industry - shipbuilding, steelworks and chemical production - there has been a severe decline since the 1970s.
The River Tees has been cleaned up and a new white water rafteing and canoe park has been built. In the words of Chris Rea:
'They say that salmon swim in steel river
They say it's good to see them back again
I know it hurts to see what really happened
I know one salmon ain't no good to them
They were born and raised to serve their steel mother
It was they taught and all they ever knew
And they believed that she would keep their children
Even though not a single word was true
Say goodbye steel river'
Some famous locals include:
Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer (stars of Randall and Hopkirk Deceased ... notice the recent plug for the Boro on their show!)
Chris Rea (singer)
I have been a season ticket holder with Middlesbrough since 1981 and have seen may ups and downs. During all this time, I have travelled the length and breadth of the country for the cause.
"You're Just A Small Town On Teesside"
Opposition supporters often taunt Middlesbrough supporters with these words. They also reminded us that we had never won a trophy. No longer ! since the 29th February 2004! Middlesbrough Football Club winners of the League Cup ! and now for me to hopefully add some new pages to VT on my UEFA Cup travels.
The team itself could probably add some pages to VT from their own countries and the teams they have played for.
Mark Schwarzer, Mark Viduka & Brad Jones (Australia), Franck Quedrue (France), George Boateng, Jimmy Flloyd Hasselbaink & Bolo Zenden (Holland), Szilard Nemeth (Slovakia), Massimo Maccarone (Italy), Doriva (Brazil), Gaizka Mendieta (Spain), Joseph-Desire Job (Cameroon), and then the British contribution to the team from Ugo Ehiogu, Chris Riggott, Gareth Southgate, Malcom Christie, Ray Parlour, Stewart Downing, Colin Cooper and Stuart Parnaby.
So what can our UEFA Cup opponents look forward to when they come to play us? Read on.
- Pros:Many good restaurants, top football team
- Cons:A few beggars on the streets
- In a nutshell:Not As The Southern Press Present The Area!
The National Park stretches from the southern suburbs of Middlesbrough out to the East Coast and almost to York. There... more travel advice
A visit to the Riverside Stadium in Middlesbrough to watch the local Premier Division team is highly recommended. There... more travel advice
- See All Middlesbrough Hotel Guide
- See All Staithes - on the A174 heading...
- See All Don't Leave Without Dessert
- See All Riverside Stadium
cheekymarieh's Related Pages
Middlesbrough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "'You're Just A Small Town On Teesside'"
- "Keeweechic's Middlesbrough"
- "It aint just about 'The Boro'!"
- "some interesting stuff in Middlesbrough"
- "Whitby on the North Sea"
- "Middlesbrough: Bridges and Bridges"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Middlesbrough
- Hotels in Middlesbrough
- Transportation in Middlesbrough
- Nightlife in Middlesbrough
- Restaurants in Middlesbrough
- Shopping in Middlesbrough
- Warnings and Dangers in Middlesbrough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Middlesbrough
- 39 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 177 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Middlesbrough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Middlesbrough
- Posted in Travel Tunisia Forum "Re: Entering Tunisia With An..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "North Yorkshire National Park"
- Commented on one of BalkanJazz's Middlesbrough travel pages
- Wrote a Review Middlesbrough Hotel Guide in Middlesbrough Hotels
- updated a Middlesbrough Travel Page "'You're Just A Small Town On Teesside'"
Photos in MiddlesbroughSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Europe Intro, 56 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 50 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 48 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cyprus Intro, 48 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Famagusta District Intro, 47 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middlesbrough Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 25 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 40 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos