York Restaurant Tips by cheekymarieh

York Restaurants: 158 reviews and 194 photos

Rubicon: A Rare Vegetarian Restaurant

The restaurant has a very clean, healthy feel to it with modern furniture. The atmosphere is probably designed to be peaceful (as this is quite a small restaurant) though it will depend on the clientele.

Service is good though not hurried. The quality of the food is high and is organic where possible.

Favorite Dish: I adored the vegetarian lasagne that I had selected. It came accompanied with a few mixed leaves as a side salad.

My eyes lit up when I saw the words Rhubarb Crumble for dessert. This is probably my dessert of choice when it is on the menu served with custard.

Address: 5 Little Stonegate, York, YO1 8AX

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: From the Minster head down Stonegate, Little Stonegate is 100m on the left.

Other Contact: enquiries@rubiconrestaurant.co.u

Phone: (01904) 676076

Price: US$21-30

Rating: 5

Theme: Vegan/Vegetarian

• Updated Apr 4, 2011
The Willow: Stuff Yourself Silly

Another Chinese restaurant where you can eat as much as you wnat for £4.99. This restaurant is upstairs above the shops of one of York's main shopping streets.

If you can get a window seat so much the better. You can sit and watch the world go buy as you eat.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant serves a delicious hot and sour soup with a wonderful kick. You can also eat as many prawn crackers as you want (fatal for me).

As always for me it is the starters that I eat most of.

Due to the time we hit the restaurant, things were starting to quieten down and the dishes weren't refilled as quickly as I am as accustomed to. So if you decide to go, go while it is busy (something to be said for any buffet style meal) so that you have a greater choice.

Address: 37a Coney Street, York, YO1 9QL

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Just across the main road from the Jorvik in one of the main shopping streets. Just find Woolworths and you will find a door leading you upstairs to the restaurant.

Phone: 01904 654728

Price: less than US$10

Rating: 3

Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum

Bamboo Oriental Buffet: Eat As Much As You Want

The restaurant has a distinctly modern feel and appears to have been furnished from the IKEA catelogue (I looked at the catalogue for furniture for my house hence the familiar feel to it!) Everything is spotlessly clean.

Favorite Dish: I suppose I must have overdosed on excellent food of late and now seem to actually prefer the spicier Thai food. I have to admit though that I do adore all of the starters such as chicken wings and ribs in various sauces. My favourite hot and sour was conspicuous by its absence. Instead you had the ubiquitous chicken and sweetcorn soup.

My one minus for this restaurant over most other self service buffets was that they actually brought a bowl of prawn crackers to the table. Usually you can eat as many of them as you want too.

There is a wide choice of fruit for dessert.

Address: 19 Micklegate, York, YO1 6JH

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: From the Jorvik Centre cross the river using the Ouse Bridge and follow the road down Bridge Street and then into Micklegate.

Other Contact: 10 % discount for students

Phone: 01904 675124

Price: less than US$10

Rating: 3

Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum

Chocolate Heaven - York

Chocolate Heaven

Betty's Tea Rooms: Betty's Tea Rooms Betty's Review

A unique atmosphere of an old English tea room. At groundfloor level you are seated in the 'goldfish bowl' (there are lots of windows and people passing seem compelled to having a look in the window). Downstairs (where you can usually be seated much quicker) there is lots of oak panelling and mirrors.

The service is fantastic and nothing is too much trouble (even if you want water to accompany your coffee because you like it weak as my friend does).

Favorite Dish: There is an excellent selection of tea and coffee on offer. These range from the usual Assam andEarl Grey to the more exotic South African Kwazulu Tea and Orange Pekoe.Various coffees are also offered including a decaffinated version.

We usually time our visit around afternoon tea where there are too many cakes to choose from.! Some of my favourites include the Raspberry Tart and the Chocolate Tart.

Address: 6-8 St. Helens Square, York, YO2 2QP

Rating: 5

Theme: Local

Website: http://www.bettysandtaylors.co.uk/bt/york.html

• Updated Nov 9, 2003

cheekymarieh Visits Here Frequently!

cheekymarieh

“Life's Too Short To Sit At Home”

Badges & Stats in York