"Monastir" Top 5 Page for this destination Monastir by cheekymarieh
Monastir Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 342 photos
The city of Monastir was built on the Punic-Roman city of Ruspina, location of the 46BC Battle of Ruspina. Much of the ancient walls of the city date back to the 9th century. As well as the medina there is the prominantly placed Ribat, close to the sea and now looking out towards the marina complex. Now there is a blend of old and new in this former fishing harbour.
Monastir was named after a monastery was built here in 797BC by an Islamic religious order of monks. The city gained more prominance after Habib Bourguiba became president of the country. He was born here on the 3rd August 1903.
Goegraphically it is located on the Mediterranean Sea 165km south of the capital Tunis, 80km east of Kairouan and 25km down the coast from Sousse.
All around the city there are now reminders of the former president of the country.
- Pros:Sun, scenery
- In a nutshell:Beautiful beaches
The rooms are quite large as is the bathroom. There is plenty of wardrobe space. There is a TV but no fridge, hairdryer... more travel advice
My first trip here was quite by chance and just a quick, cheap break before my main holiday of the year less than a... more travel advice
cheekymarieh's Related Pages
Monastir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monastir-city with spirit"
- "Monastir - Tunisia's famous Ribat"
- "Monastir, Tunisia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monastir
- Hotels in Monastir
- Transportation in Monastir
- Nightlife in Monastir
- Restaurants in Monastir
- Shopping in Monastir
- Warnings and Dangers in Monastir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monastir
- 12 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Monastir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monastir
Top 10 Pages
- Europe Intro, 56 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 50 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 48 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cyprus Intro, 48 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Famagusta District Intro, 47 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middlesbrough Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 25 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 40 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos