"lukeduke's Murmansk and surroundings winter advent" Murmansk by lukeduke
Murmansk Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 152 photos
Murmansk is the biggest city north of the polar circle in the world. The city itself is not very beautiful, though the city center has a number of nice, renovated buildings. For the friends of soviet era relics it is a paradise! This formerly closed city is russia's only european port that doesn't freeze (because of the gulfstream), and in the surroundings are the bases of the northern fleet (atomic ice-breakers and submarines). The city of Severomorsk (20km north of Murmansk) is still closed for foreigners and even for russians! If you want to discover this region individually, you should speak at least a little bit russian or have a russian friend; but you can easily find somebody there, who will help you. The people here in the north are more friendly than in Moscow or St.Petersburg.
www.murmansk.com (general info about the city)
www.murmansk.ru (general info about the city)
www.murman.ru (many infos and links to other cities in the region, but only in russian!)
www.russlandia.ru (hotel Polyarnye Zori)
www.kolaklub.com/southkola (skiing in Kirovsk, many other Infos)
You may also try to rent an apartment, as it is usual and possible in all Russian cities. Therefore I recommend... more travel advice
not much (Moscow, St. Petersburg or New York are much more dangerous). Only small problems, e.g. overpriced taxi, or a... more travel advice
- Museums:Fine Arts Museum,...
- Hotels, transportation...
- if you want to see hell:...
- My favourite place (nice...
lukeduke's Related Pages
Murmansk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Murmansk--Few hours shore leave"
- "68.58 degrees North 33.03 degrees East"
- "lukeduke's Murmansk and surroundings winter advent"
- "Lothar Adam Murmansk 2002"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Murmansk
- Hotels in Murmansk
- Transportation in Murmansk
- Nightlife in Murmansk
- Restaurants in Murmansk
- Shopping in Murmansk
- Warnings and Dangers in Murmansk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Murmansk
- 12 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Murmansk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Murmansk
Photos in MurmanskSee All Photos (26)
Top 5 Pages
- Murmansk Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Iran Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Esfahan Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arctic Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Rovaniemi Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Murmansk hotel reviews
- Best Eastern Polyarny Zori
- 3 Reviews & Opinions