"Charleston, South Carolina" Charleston by Pamela_Peace
Charleston Travel Guide: 797 reviews and 1,760 photos
<font color=0066CC size=+1> Pride, Southern Pride, that was the first thought that came to my mind after only an afternoon in this fabulous old, charming city. The name <B>Charleston</B> conjures up images of sweet-smelling magnolia trees, shaded porches with rocking chairs, and mint julips or lemonlaced iced tea, whatever your beverage of choice happens to be. Here dialects have blended so well that you don't know while walking down the street, of what skintone the person is speaking behind you. Unemployment ranks between 2 & 3%. Here education is stressed and children of all races, creeds and religions where uniforms to school. Here you get <B>grits</B> at every meal without having to ask for them (more about grits later). Here is a character of people so strong that it's reflected in a long list of "firsts" to occur in America:</font>
<font color=red size=+1><p align="left">the First battle of the Revolutionary War<p align="left">the Birthplace of Reform Judaism</p> <p align="left">the First building for theatrical production in America, Dock Street Theatre</p><p align="left">the south's First library</p> <p align ="left">the First golf club</p><p align="left">the First fire insurance company</p><p align="left">the south's Oldest newspaper, the "South Carolina Gazette"</p><p align="left">rock group "Hootie and the Blowfish" got their Start here<p align="left">this was The sight of the movie "GLORY," based on the Civil War and our FIRST black naval commander<p align="left">the First black, jewish police chief presides here (correct me if I'm wrong here, please)<p align="left">the First municipal college in America, the College of Charleston, established in 1770</font>
<font color=0066CC size=+1>If you will, take a look at some more "firsts" in the following pictures. Remember, <B>Charleston</B> was a colony originally founded for religious freedom, so there is practically a church on every corner. If you don't find what suits you here, well, you better travel on somewhere else.</font>
Pamela_Peace's Related Pages
Charleston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charleston, SC"
- "Welcome to Charleston SC"
- "charleston, south carolina"
- "The Definitive Guide to Charleston, SC"
- "Queen of the South"
- "The City of Southern Charm, Charleston"
- "Lovely Charleston"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charleston
- Hotels in Charleston
- Transportation in Charleston
- Nightlife in Charleston
- Restaurants in Charleston
- Shopping in Charleston
- Warnings and Dangers in Charleston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charleston
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Charleston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charleston
Photos in CharlestonSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos
- Nice Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amelia Island Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos
- Portland Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Izmir Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Little Rock Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
- Turkey Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Washington State Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos