"Pamela Peace's Loire Valley Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Orléans by Pamela_Peace
Orléans Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 216 photos
<font color=royalblue>Not far from Paris is the <B>Loire Valley</B> - playground of kings and queens for centuries. This is the location of the beautiful chateaux that France is known for. Take for instance <B>Chateau Chenonceau</B>, or the Chateau of 7 Women. Originally built by a wealthy financier, this remarkable castle eventually became the dwelling of Diane de Poitier, mistress of Henri II, king of France. It seems that Henri inherited Diane and the crown from his father, Francois I, a real Renaissance man. Diane, 19 years his senior, served as friend, lover and confidant until he was struck down by an ill-placed lance during a jousting tournament with his knights. After languishing for several days, the young Henri died, and with his untimely death his wife and queen, Catherine de Medici, forced the beautiful and inspiring Diane from Chenonceau. Catherine took the castle for her own and swiftly untook cosmetic changes, mainly to overlay her huband's initial 'H', carved everywhere, with her own double 'C.' The end result, a double 'D'(for her adversary Diane) proved fatal for the Italian queen and she eventually lost her senses.</font>
Could the teenage Jeanne d'Arc have possibly known from Chateau Chinon what fate awaited her? Injured, sold to the... more travel advice
One of the highlights of the Loire Valley is Chateau Chambord, an imposing Renaissance structure built in the 16th... more travel advice
Pamela_Peace's Related Pages
Orléans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "sandravdp's Orleans Page"
- "Moscow - Orleans 1995"
- "City of Joan d'Arc"
- "Pamela Peace's Loire Valley Page"
- "City of Joan of Arc"
- "Orleans and the Loire Valley Castles"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Orléans
- Hotels in Orléans
- Transportation in Orléans
- Nightlife in Orléans
- Restaurants in Orléans
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Orléans
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Orléans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orléans
Photos in OrléansSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos
- Nice Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amelia Island Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos
- Portland Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Izmir Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Little Rock Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
- Turkey Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Washington State Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos